TWRP Recovery is the custom recovery image created by the Team Win Recovery Project, and you can use this tutorial to learn how to successfully install it on your AT&T Galaxy Note 2.
The TWRP Recovery image comes with a more user-friendly interface which is easier to use on touchscreen devices. Other features included within are the file manager, a faster method to backup and restore ROMs, support for themes and several other small functions and features. This is a different recovery image than ClockworkMod and it seems like a great alternative for you to use on your Note 2 AT&T smartphone.
In order to make sure you correctly flash the files, you should first read the preparation guide below. Here’s what you need to take into consideration before installing TWRP Recovery on your smartphone:
- note that this guide will work only with the AT&T variant of Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Do not attempt to flash these files on any other Android devices, as that will brick their firmware.
- Your computer should have the USB drivers for your smartphone installed. If yours doesn’t then you should get them from these links here: Windows 32bit X86 USB drivers | Windows 64bit X64 USB Drivers. Alternatively, you can use Samsung KIES to install these drivers. Make sure that KIES isn’t running when you’re moving to the tutorial.
- Your device should be rooted.
- Disable all the security and antivirus applications that are currently running on your computer. This will prevent them from blocking the install of TWRP Recovery files.
- Enable USB Debugging option from the Android Development menu.
- Charge the phone’s battery until it goes over 50%.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case something goes wrong during the installation of this new custom Recovery image.
- Apply all the instructions listed in this post. Use the comments section if you’re having problems with the installation of TWRP Recovery.
Don’t use this guide if you’re a novice. I think that this is all the extra info you had to read before moving to the next part of this post.
How to flash TWRP Recovery on AT&T Galaxy Note 2:
- Download the TWRP Recovery image file from HERE. Save it on your computer.
- Download the ODIN zip file from HERE. This is the tool that you’re gonna use and install the custom recovery file. Extract the files in the ODIN zip and save them on your PC desktop screen. You should now have 4 files in the ODIN folder.
- Power off the smartphone.
- Boot it into Android Download Mode. It can be done if you press at the same time ‘volume down’, ‘home’ and ‘power’ buttons. Keep the buttons pressed until the screen powers on and then you should press ‘volume up’ to load Downloade mode.
- Next, launch ODIN exe on your computer.
- Connect your AT&T Galaxy Note 2 to your PC using the USB cable. ODIN will display an alert that says ‘added!!’. Change the USB port in case you don’t see that message, or you can try to reinstall the USB drivers for your phone.
- In Odin, select the ‘PDA’ button and then browse your PC for teh ‘twrp recovery img.tar’ file. It should be the file you downloaded at step 1. Load it into ODIN. Don’t change any default ODIN settings and make sure that the option named ‘re-partition’ is not checked.
- Press START to begin the installation of TWRP Recovery on your phone. Wait until the phone restarts and after that you will see its Samsung boot logo and you can disconnect it from computer. ODIN will say ‘Pass’ and that means that the install process has been completed.
- Your AT&T Note 2 will restart and load into normal mode. That is it, you’re done with the installation.
Test to see if the TWRP Recovery is installed by powering off the smartphone. Then press the following buttons at the same time: volume up, home and power. When the screen flashes you can release the buttons and the device will continue loading the custom recovery mode.
NOTE: In case ODIN gets stuck or you see the ‘FAIL’ message instead of ‘PASS’, then the install was not successful and you should unplug the Note 2 from PC and after that close ODIN. Remove the smartphone battery and re-insert it back after 5 seconds. Now repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 4 and you you should manage to flash the files at your second attempt.
If you’re having any extra problems with the installation, then you should ask for more help in our comments field. We will try to offer you a solution to your problems and complete the flash process of TWRP Recovery for AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2.