Install TWRP Recovery for Google Nexus 7
Google Nexus 7 has been announced and shipped already to numerous users worldwide. Make sure to read the instructions I’ve listed in this post and that will help you successfully update your device and flash the Team Win Recovery Project aka TWRP Recovery for Android devices. In case you cannot complete the update then you should use the comments and ask for extra help.
The TWRP Recovery is a custom recovery installation that it is very similar to ClockworkMod Recovery. You can use it to install custom ROMs and flash other Android-based files and applications. It packs several other important features that can be controlled using a touch UI and it brings support for creating and restoring backups, a build-in file manager and multiple other other advanced and easy to use tools.
Before starting to apply these changes you should read the guidelines below and learn what actions you need to do so that the installation of TWRP Recovery will complete successfully. Here’s what you need to do:
- This TWRP Recovery installation will work exclusively with the Google / ASUS Nexus 7 tablet. Do not attempt to install it on any other device.
- The tablet system should’ve been already rooted and with an unlocked bootloader. This post HERE contains all the info you need.
- Just in case something goes wrong you should create backups of your important files.
- ES File Explorer File Manager application should be installed on your Nexus 7 tablet.
- Install this files only if you’re an advanced Android users and you know your way around fastboot and other sub-system functions.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong and you damage the device. Make sure to apply all the steps listed in the tutorial and in case you have trouble completing the TWRP Recovery installation then you should ask for help by posting in comments.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, you should move to the tutorial. Do not skip any of the steps I’ve listed below. Remember that this guide works with the Google / ASUS Nexus 7 tablet and you shouldn’t attempt to install it on other Android gadgets.
Install TWRP Recovery on Google Nexus 7 tablet
- Download the Team Win Recovery Project zip file for GNex 7 Tablet from HERE. Save the file on your computer and you should get a ‘.img’ file extension.
- Download ‘fastboot’ zip from HERE.
- Extract the contents of Fastboot zip file and save them on your computer’s C:\ drive partition. You should name the folder ‘Fastboot’. Move to the next step.
- Next, move the ‘twrp recovery’ zip file in the ‘fasboot folder. Now the fastboot folder should contain five files in it.
- Launch the ES File Explorer File Manager application on your tablet.
- In ES File Explorer tap the ‘menu’ button and then select ‘Settings’. Enable the ‘Up to root’ option.
- Scroll down and tick the ‘root explorer’ option. Press the ‘allow/ grant’ confirmation button and offer root access for it. Enable the ‘Mount File System Option’ option also. When all the options above are enabled you should press back to exit the settings menu.
- Press ‘Up’ button until you reach the farthermost directory and it should have this “/” at the top listed. Open the System folder and now press long the file that says ‘recovery-from-boot.p’, and when the context menu is displayed you should delete it. This step needs to be applied so that the TWRP Recovery won’t be removed by a stock recovery after restart. If the ‘recovery-from-boot.p’ file isn’t listed then you should skip this step.
- Now, open Settings in your Nexus 7. Open ‘Developer options’ and then enable the ‘USB Debugging’ one.
- Connect your Google Nexus 7 tablet to your PC and wait until all USB drivers will be successfully installed.
- On your PC, go to the location of ‘fastboot’ folder. It is the folder you’ve created at step 3. Click once on the ‘fastboot’ folder so that you’ll only highlight it, then press and hold SHIFT on your keyboard and then right-click the ‘fastboot’ folder. Select ‘Open command window here’. Now, Command Prompt will launch and its location is the ‘fastboot’ directory.
- To install the TWRP Recovery on your Google Nexus 7 tablet you need to enter the following command lines. After each command has been typed you need to press enter to run it.
- adb reboot bootloader - this line will restart the tablet to fastboot mode.
- fastboot flash recovery penrecovery-twrp-2.2.1-grouper.img
- That’s it, now the TWRP Recovery installation process will begin and when it is completed you will be shown a confirmation message. To restart the tablet you will have to type ‘fastboot reboot’ in command prompt. This will restart the device and the Team Win Recovery Project software has been installed. I hope that this guide worked for you and that all files were installed successfully.
If you wish to test if TWRP Recovery works, then you should power off the Google Nexus 7 tablet. Next, press and hold ‘volume up’ + ‘volume down’ + ‘power’ buttons simultaneously. The custom recovery mode will launch.
Now you can use the TWRP Recovery on your Google Nexus 7 tablet to install new custom ROMs and other files that you might need in order to improve the tablet’s overall performances. If you cannot complete this guide, then you should ask for help in comments and we will help you finish the installation of TWRP Recovery custom.