Looking for the best way for start tweaking your Galaxy S4 and don’t know how to begin? Well, if so, then you are in the right place as during the present step by step guide we will be checking on how to install TWRP Recovery (the touch and improved version of CWM recovery) on your Samsung Galaxy S4, model number I9505. Be aware as this tutorial is suitable only with the Snapdragon LTE variant of the device, so don’t apply the next lines if you own a similar version of the SGS4 as you might end up in bricking your smartphone.
TWRP recovery is one of the most used custom recovery for Android devices as the tool is providing the same features like CWM recovery but on a touch user interface. So, this means that you can easily navigate through the recovery menu, not to mention that TWRP recovery is offering more options than the classic version of the CWM recovery app. Now, even though the Galaxy S4 has been just released, those of xda-developers (we have to thanks them for the present guide) had find a way to install TWRP recovery on the I9505 variant of the Galaxy S4.
This means that soon custom ROMs will be released as the official firmwares for the S4 has been also provided by Samsung via KIES. And, for being able to flash the custom updates you will have to use a custom recovery as the stock recovery can’t be accessed for performing unofficial operations. Furthermore, the TWRP recovery can be used for other tasks too as by using the same you can easily make backups for saving the current ROM and the data, apply wiping, optimization, customization and maintenance operations, or even root procedures.
As you can see, installing TWRP recovery on your Galaxy S4 is a must have. Now, for being able to safely complete this tutorial you will first have to apply the pre requisites for preparing your smartphone, or else you might have problems while trying to perform the steps from below. So, in order to make things right, check the list from below.
- You need to first backup the data which is saved on the internal storage memory of your GS4. If something bad happens you will void all of your personal info, so for avoiding the same do backup the data before going any further (you can use our suitable backup and restore guides for learning how to save the contacts list, call logs, text messages, EFS folder, market apps and more).
- A Windows running computer will be required for this operation.
- On your computer and on your handset there shouldn’t be running any security programs.
- Also, the USB debugging option should be enabled on your phone.
- If the battery status indicates less than 50% power left, then you will have to charge your smartphone.
- Again, remember that this step by step guide is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number GT-I9505 (go to “settings -> about phone” in order to verify the same).
- Also, your device should not be locked down to a particular carrier as this tutorial works only on unbranded Galaxy S4.
Well, now you are ready to start the flashing operation. Be careful in what you do and try not to mess things up. This procedure is being considered risky and complex meaning that you can even end up in bricking your phone, though if you stick to the steps from below nothing bad will happen.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Galaxy S4 GT-I9505
- First on your computer download the TWRP recovery file; get it from here.
- Then, install the Galaxy S4 drivers by downloading Samsung KIES.
- Also, download and install Odin.
- Open Odin.
- Reboot your handset into download mode. In order to do that, first turn off the phone and then reboot it by pressing on Power, Volume Down and Home buttons together.
- Then, connect your S4 with the computer via USB cord.
- Take a look on Odin where the “added” message should be displayed and the ID:COM section should be yellow or blue.
- If not, unplug the USB cable, close Odin and reinstall the drivers on your computer; then repeat the steps from above.
- If everything is working as explained, from Odin select “PDA”.
- Pick the TWRP recovery file you have downloaded before.
- Don’t make any other changes on Odin; the Re-partition box should be unchecked.
- Click on “Start”.
- When the flashing operation ends, you will see the “pass” message displayed on Odin.
- You can safely unplug the USB cable and reboot your device.
If Odin gets stuck:
- Close Odin on the computer.
- Disconnect the S4 from the same.
- Force restart your phone and reboot into download mode.
- Re-install the drivers on the PC and open Odin.
- Re-connect the smartphone with the computer and resume the flashing operation.
If your S4 gets stuck in a boot loop:
- Reboot into recovery mode.
- From there select “wipe data factory reset”.
- Followed by “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the main menu.
- And select “reboot system now.
How to boot the Galaxy S4 into TWRP Recovery:
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot by pressing on the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons at the same time for a few seconds.
- The recovery menu will be displayed. You can choose the option you want by taping on the screen of your device.
- Do test the TWRP recovery features in order to see how the app works.
- Then, select “reboot system now” in order to reboot into Android.
That was all; congratulations you have installed TWRP recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505. Now you can easily apply a custom ROM firmware on your smartphone and you can also start in tweaking the performances and capabilities of your device. Do stay close for more tutorials and Android related tricks and tips that can be applied on the SGS4. Also, do tell us how things worked for you or if there were problems while you were trying to complete the steps from above.