How to Install TWRP Recovery on HTC Hero
The HTC Hero handset is a low range smartphone, with specs and performances outdated as it was first released way back in 2009. Furthermore, unfortunately, since now there isn’t any custom ROM available for improving the OS, but things are about to get changed. According to those of xda-developers the HTC Hero will receive ICS and Jelly Bean custom updates in the coming days, so for being able to flash the same you must first learn how to install a custom recovery image on your phone; that’s why, during the present step by step guide, we will be checking in how to install the TWRP Recovery on your HTC Hero.
As mentioned, the Hero is not a high end device, but if you don’t want to buy a new handset, then you can easily power up the performances of your current phone. This can be achieved by performing and applying some procedures on your phone, which will make changes and improvements on its internal system. So, in order to take full advantage of your HTC Hero you must learn how to root it, install a custom recovery image (like TWRP recovery) on it, get complex apps and why not update to a custom ROM firmware.
Now, TWRP recovery, like any other recovery image suitable for the Android system, is being designed in order to offer several capabilities which can be used when you try to backup the data of your phone, install different apps or updates, perform maintenance and customize operations and more. The same will happen with your Hero, as once the TWRP tool is being installed you will be able to do all the above mentioned things. This recovery image can be compared with the CWM one, but its advantage consists in the “touch” capability. TWRP can be used without using the classic side buttons and power key as you can simply tap on the screen for choosing the option you want. It has a better user interface and more features than CWM recovery, so this is the best recovery for your HTC Hero.
But for being able to flash TWRP, your HTC Hero must be rooted. Therefore, first of all go and gain root access for your phone. Be aware though as by rooting the warranty will get void. This is happening because you will remove the factory restrictions out from the system. The root operation is being considered risky, so be careful in what you do. The warranty can be restored only if you downgrade the Hero to the stock ROM, or if you update the same with an official update. The present operation isn’t coming from HTC, meaning that third party devs (those of xda-developers are being responsible for this guide, so we have to thanks them) is bringing the tool.
Before heading to the proper steps, you should backup the data which is saved on the internal storage memory of your Hero. You will have to make a full wipe of the system, meaning that you will lose all of your personal info. I have mentioned some backup tips along with the rest of the pre requisites in the list from below. Make sure you complete the same as this is the most relevant part of the tutorial.
- Download SMS backup and restore for Android.
- Save the call logs by downloading suitable backup and restore apps.
- If you want to save the contacts list, then you can anytime learn how to sync with your Gmail account.
- You can save the internet settings too.
- For backing up any other file, like images or videos, I recommend you to use a computer or an SD card.
- You must have access to a Windows running computer.
- On your PC and on your Hero first of all deactivate the security option. The antivirus program and the Firewall protection must be deactivated too.
- The USB debugging option must be enabled on your smartphone.
- Charge the phone battery before starting the installation procedure.
You shouldn’t apply the next steps for other devices similar with the HTC Hero as you can end up in bricking them, not to mention that the TWRP Recovery will work only on the mentioned device. If you want to flash the recovery image on a different device, then you must search for a suitable guide.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on HTC Hero
- The first thing to do is to download the recovery file; you have the download link below.
- Get the TWRP tool from here.
- Save the file to your computer.
- Connect the phone with the PC via its USB cable.
- Select the downloaded file from the PC, copy and then paste it to your phone SD card.
- Remove the USB cord and disconnect the device from the computer.
- Turn the handset off.
- Enter in recovery mode.
- The recovery mode for HTC Hero can be reached by pressing on the Volume Down button while powering on.
- In recovery first of all, select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Next, go back to recovery by selecting “+++go back++”.
- Up next, select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the TWRP recovery file which you have downloaded before.
- Install the same.
- In the end select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
That was the how to procedure from which you can learn how to install the TWRP recovery on your HTC Hero. Well, now you can easily get and flash a custom ROM firmware on your phone, so stay close as we will bring suitable guides in the coming days. Also, do tell us how things worked for you or if there are issues related to the steps explained above.