Nowadays owning an Android based smartphone is all about customization and optimization its internal system and performances. But for being able to do such things, you first have to install some apps and perform some tasks on your handset, such as backing up the data, rooting the system, flashing a custom recovery image, or install a custom ROM firmware. Now, today, I will show you how to apply one of the above mentioned operations on your Motorola Photon Q 4G, as we will be checking on how to install the TWRP Recovery tool on your phone.
By using this tutorial you will be able to learn how to easily flash TWRP Recovery on the Photon Q 4G LTE XT897, two methods being available for completing the same. I have explained and detailed both procedures during the steps from below, so read them and choose the one that you prefer the most. But, before heading to the proper installation guide you should check the next lines where I have explained what is with the TWRP Recovery app and also how to prepare your Photon Q 4G for the installation procedure.
First, you should know that this variant of TWRP Recovery has been developed for your Q 4G by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for the present step by step guide. This mean that the operation explained here is not an official one, so it has nothing to do with Motorola. Therefore, by completing the same you will void the warranty of your device; be careful and try not to mess things up. You can restore the warranty only by downgrading your phone to stock ROM, or by updating with an official firmware coming from Motorola and suitable with your Photon Q 4G LTE XT897.
Now, TWRP Recovery is a custom recovery image that is similar with CWM recovery. Actually is an improved version of the mentioned tool as you can use the touch capability of your handset for choosing and navigating through the recovery mode menu. Also, there are more options included on the system, so you can make and apply more things on your device. By using TWRP Recovery you will be able to access the internal system of your Motorola Photon Q 4G therefore operations like Nandroid backup, restoration, customization, maintenance, installing custom ROMs and more being at your service.
Because we are dealing with an unofficial method, you must first prepare the smartphone for the flashing process that will shortly follow. For that you need to read and apply all the tasks presented during the next list. These are the essential and general pre requisites, so don’t skip this part, or else you can end up in bricking your phone.
- First, you need to root and unlock the bootloader of your Photon Q 4G.
- By rooting the warranty will get void.
- It is recommended to backup the data of your handsets because it might get wiped out. Save all of your personal info starting with the contacts, messages, call logs and ending with the market apps. You can search through our how to section for suitable backup and restore tutorials.
- You will need to use a Windows running computer, the phone and its USB cable.
- On the computer and also on the handset, first of all deactivate all the security tools.
- On your device go to “Setting -> Developer Options” and enable the USB debugging option.
- Charge the battery of your Photon Q 4G if you notice that there is less than 60% power left.
- Install the Android SDK on your computer and then download and install the Motorola drivers.
- Make sure that you are following this guide only for installing the TWRP Recovery custom recovery image for the Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE XT897; using this method on a similar Android powered smartphone will make you brick your device.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE XT897 – GooManager method
- Go on Google Play Store and download the GooManager app.
- Install the same.
- Open GooManager on your device.
- Select “Menu” and choose “Install OpenRecoveryScript from the list”.
- Start the procedure by selecting “yes”.
- Agree with root access if asked.
- Just wait until the process ends.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE XT897 – Fastboot method
- Download the recovery file from here and place it to your computer.
- Then, connect the phone with the PC via its USB cable.
- On the computer, go to “Start -> run -> cmd” for opening a command prompt window.
- On cmd go to the location where you have saved the recovery file: for example type “cd c:\location of file”.
- In cmd type “adb reboot bootloader”; this will reboot your phone into fastboot mode.
- Up next, on the same cmd window, enter the command: “fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-188.8.131.52-asanti_c.img”.
- When the installation procedure ends, unplug the USB cable and reboot your smartphone.
- If you want to boot into recovery mode press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together.
That’s all; now your Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE XT897 has been installed with the TWRP Recovery tool. This means that from now on you can look forward in updating your handset with a custom ROM firmware; stay close as we will bring suitable guides during the next few days. Also, do tell us how things worked for you or if you had encountered issues while trying to apply the above explained steps.