TWRP is a custom recovery software that needs to be installed on Android smartphones so that you will be able to flash custom ROM installations on them. Without this tool you won’t be able to install any type of custom ROM on HTC EVO 4G LTE, at least at this moment you can’t but as time goes by we should see numerous other custom recoveries being released for you to use.
This article contains instructions on how to successfully install TWRP 2.1 on your EVO 4G LTE device. Remember that for this software to work, your device should be S-OFF or UNLOCK, because otherwise the custom recovery cannot be installed. All of its functions and features are working expect for the USB Storage, which cannot be accessed while using TWRP Recovery. There are a couple of methods that will help you install TWRP and these can be found in this article.
Remember that this guide should be applied only by advanced Android users. It uses a touch user interface which means that you won’t need to press any volume or power keys to work with it. It is equipped with full XML support.
TWRP Recovery won’t work with CWM ( clockworkmod) backups which means that you will only be able to manage ROM backups only with it and that from now on, when installing ROMs with TWRP then this will be the only solution for you. However, as I’ve told above, there will be other different custom recovery software released in the near future for the HTC EVO 4G LTE. Now that you know all this, let’s move to the TWRP Recovery installation methods.
METHOD 1: Android Application Installation.
- Download the GooManager application for Android from here.
- Install the program on your HTC EVO 4G LTE.
- Launch it and then press the menu and the tap on ‘install OpenRecoveryScript’.
- Select YES. Now check to see if the filename shows the HTC EVO 4G LTE code name.
- Press YES once again.
- The software will now start to download.
- Your phone will now restart and it will install the TWRP Recovery tool.
Now you’re free to find and install any custom ROMs for your HTC EVO 4G LTE. Remember that for the TWRP Recovery to install successfully, then you device should be S-OFF or HTC UNLOCK.
If you cannot complete the installation of TWRP with this method, then you should try the second one. Make sure to respect all the steps listed under it.
METHOD 2: Use Fastboot.
Please note that this method requires for your computer to have the HTC Sync software file to be installed. These can be downloaded from HERE.
Also, your PC should feature ‘adb’ and ‘fastboot’ tools for your PC.
- Download the ‘openrecovery-twrp-2.1.7-jewel.img’ from here.
- Place this file into your ‘platform-tools.dir’
- Power off your HTC EVO 4G LTE.
- Now press Power and immediately start pressing and holding the ‘volume down’ button until your phone display a menu.
- Choose ‘fastboot’ from the options listed.
- Now connect your phone to your PC. If all drivers are installed then everything will work and your screen will display a ‘fastboot usb’ notification.
- Launch ‘command prompt’ and enter the following command line: fastboot flash recovery recoveryfilename.img.
- That’s it, now TWRP Recovery should successfully install onto your device.
Now that you’ve installed TWRP Recovery, it means that you’re free to start looking for a working custom ROM firwmare for your HTC EVO 4G LTE. Leave your extra questions and your tips & tricks in our comments section.