Are you thinking in updating your Samsung Galaxy S5 with a custom ROM firmware? Or maybe you want to make a Nandroid backup before applying other custom procedures on your Android smartphone? In that case a custom recovery image will be required; due to same reasons, during the following lines we will be checking on how to easily install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S5.
By using this guide you will be able to learn three different methods that can be applied for flashing TWRP recovery on your Galaxy S5. The first procedure will show you how to use Odin in order to get the custom recovery image, the second operation will use adb commands and the third one will use a custom app that will basically do all the work for you. So, read this tutorial and choose the installation procedure you prefer the most; in the end your Samsung Galaxy S5 will be safely installed with TWRP Recovery.
TWRP recovery represents one of the most used and popular custom recovery image for Android. As you might know, your Galaxy S5 comes pre-installed by default with a stock recovery image. This recovery is offering limited features, so you will not be able to use the same when trying to complete complex operations. So, because of that a custom recovery image should be flashed on your smartphone. TWRP recovery is in fact the touch and improved version of CWM recovery, so you can safely use the same on your device. This version of TWRP recovery is stable and will smoothly run on your Galaxy S5.
Now, after installing TWRP recovery on the Samsung Galaxy S5, you will be able to perform operations like: make a Nandroid backup, hard reset your device, clear cache, fix your bricked Android smartphone, install a custom ROM firmware, flash a custom kernel, improve the performances of your phone, customize and optimize its looks and lot more. Basically TWRP recovery, like any other custom recovery image, represents a link between your Android device and its internal system.
Of course, installing a custom recovery represents an unofficial operation that has nothing to do with Samsung or with Google. TWRP recovery is a custom app developed and offered by third party devs, so flash the same on your own risk – don’t worry nothing bad will happen if you are using the steps from this dedicated step by step guide.
In order to complete this guide, first you will have to root your Samsung Galaxy S5. Installing TWRP recovery by using the steps from below works only on rooted smartphones, therefore ensure root access before going any further. The warranty of your device will get void, so try not to mess things up as if you end up in bricking your Galaxy S5, you will have to fix it by yourself – the service assistance is usually quite expensive.
On the other hand a backup is recommended as your data might get wiped out or corrupted while you will try to flash TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S5. Therefore, take your time and save everything that’s important to you including EFS folder, internet settings, contacts list, call logs, market apps, text messages and personal data, info and accounts. Moreover, make sure that you can use a computer, where you are temporarily deactivating the security protection. Furthermore, on your phone enable USB debugging option from menu – settings – developer options and plug in the charger if the battery status displays less than 50% power left.
It is important to know that this tutorial is compatible only with the LTE variant of the Samsung Galaxy S5 which is dubbed as SM-G900F. Don’t try the steps from below for any other model of this Android smartphone as you might end up in bricking your device. So, be careful, read all the guidelines from this tutorial and try not to mess things up.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S5
Flash TWRP Recovery via Odin
- On your computer download the recovery image from here and Odin.
- Install Odin and unzip the recovery file on the same folder as Odin.
- Also install the Galaxy S5 USB drivers on your computer – you can do it via Samsung KIES.
- Turn off your smartphone and reboot it in download mode: just press Power button along with Volume down key until download mode is being displayed.
- Open Odin on your computer and then connect your device with your PC via USB cable.
- On Odin now the “added” message will be displayed and the ID:COM will turn yellow or blue – if not, reinstall the Galaxy S5 drivers on your PC and then retry the steps from above.
- From Odin now click on the “PA” option and select the recovery image file which you have unzipped earlier.
- Without making any other changes on the program click on “start” and wait while the installation procedure is being completed.
- In the end on Odin you will notice the “pass” message displayed and the ID:COM turned green; you can unplug the USB cord and reboot your smartphone.
Use adb commands
- First of all, on your computer download and install Android SDK: install Android SDK on Windows or set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux.
- Then download the TWRP recovery image file from here.
- Place the recovery image on the same folder as ADB.
- Connect your Galaxy S5 with your computer by plugging in the USB cable.
- Navigate to the ADB folder and there open a command prompt window (hold shift keyboard key while right clicking on any blank space from the mentioned folder and choose Open command window here).
- On the cmd window enter “adb shell” followed by “su”.
- If permission for SuperSu app is being required, agree with the same.
- Now install TWRP recovery by typing in cmd: “dd if=/sdcard/openrecovery-twrp-188.8.131.52-klte.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21”.
- In the end, remove the USB cable and reboot your phone.
Using a custom app from Google Play
- Take your phone and download the GooManager app from Google Play (use this link).
- Install the tool on your Samsung Galaxy S5.
- Open the same and tap on menu.
- Then select “Install OpenRecoveryScript” and choose “yes”.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and flash TWRP recovery.
- That’s it.
Congratulations, you have installed TWRP Recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S5. Feel free and share your experience with us and with other users by using the comments field from below. Also, stay close as further step by step tutorials along with useful tips and tricks will be developed for your Samsung Galaxy S5.