Xiaomi Mi 8 SE is a great looking Android based device that is bringing decent to high-end performance to its users. However, since we talk about a Chinese based UI and about other stuffs that aren’t quite similar with what you might be used with, being able to tweak the overall Android system is something that you might be looking into with great interest. Well, for those who are ready to begin their tweak initiative we have important news: the TWRP recovery custom recovery software is now available for the Xiaomi Mi 8 SE.
TWRP recovery is one of the most popular custom recovery environments that can be installed on the Android system. The software is powered by CWM recovery but manages to extend the classic features and capabilities. In that respect, if you choose to complete this tutorial you will be able to use on your Xiaomi Mi 8 SE a specialized custom recovery platform that brings a touch based interface and extremely useful settings that can easily guide you through various customizations and optimizations.
TWRP recovery will replace the stock recovery software that runs by default on your Xiaomi Mi 8 SE. The stock recovery is running with restrictions meaning that your overall Android access will be limited – you can apply only official operations including: making a hard reset, clearing app data cache or manually applying a new OTA. But, with TWRP recovery you will be able to tweak everything you want as you don’t have to deal with factory restrictions – here are a few examples of operations that can be afterwards applied on your smartphone: you can make Nandroid backups for saving Android files, you can remove bloatware, you can install custom kernels and MODs, you can flash root exploits for unlocking the Android system, you can install custom ROMs such as Lineage OS, AOKP or Paranoid Android, you can choose to overclock or undervolt CPU frequencies and lot more.
As you can observe, all these processes are unofficial ways in which you can change the built-in Android functionality that runs on your Xiaomi Mi 8 SE. So, installing TWRP recovery is not an official operation either – you cannot associate the lines from below with your OEM and you will eventually end up in losing your phone’s warranty. Note: the warranty can be anytime restored but only if you choose to reinstall the stock Android OS situation during which the stock recovery image will be re-applied.
A backup should be applied before anything else. This is a precaution measure that must be taken as you cannot risk in losing your personal files during the TWRP recovery installation process. So, initiate the backup process in order to secure your contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, calendar info, saved passwords, IMEI / NVRAM data and other packages that might be still required afterwards. On your Xiaomi Mi 8 SE you can apply the backup easily by syncing files with your Google Account or by using preinstalled cloud service platforms. Another way in which you can save files is by downloading backup and restore apps from Google Play – in that case make sure you get only already tested platforms.
Installing TWRP recovery can be done only in a manual manner, so before starting the actual flashing steps explained below you first have to review the essential pre-requisites:
- You must be able to use a computer. On that computer Android SDK must be installed; so learn how to install Android SDK on Windows or how to set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux.
- On the same computer set up the right drivers for your Xiaomi Mi 8 SE.
- On your smartphone enable Developer Options: access the About Phone field and from there tap repeatedly on Built Number until the ‘you are a developer’ message is received.
- Access the Developer Options entry, located within Menu – > Settings and from there check the USB Debugging field.
- Charge your smartphone before installing the TWRP recovery software if the power that’s currently left is lower than 50%.
- Unlock the bootloader on your device as otherwise you cannot set up the custom recovery image.
- Low power means that your device can get turned off while you try to complete the steps from below; in that case you can risk in soft bricking your Xiaomi Mi 8 SE.
- Of course, begin this tutorial only if you own the already mentioned handset as otherwise you can end up in experiencing malfunctions on your Android based device.
Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 8 SE
- Download the TWRP recovery package from this page and save this .zip file on desktop.
- Next, rename this package into recovery.img and transfer this package inside the Android SDK folder.
- From there open a command prompt window by following: press and hold the Shift keyboard key and while doing that right click on any blank space; then from the list that is displayed choose ‘open command prompt window here’.
- Turn off your Mi 8 SE and connect your smartphone with your computer with the help of the USB cable.
- Transfer the TWRP recovery package on your phone but keep a copy of the custom recovery image on your computer too.
- Inside the cmd window type ‘adb reboot bootloader’ and press Enter. Your handset should automatically reboot into bootloader mode.
- Next, in the cmd window execute: ‘fastboot boot recovery.img’. This will temporarily install TWRP recovery on your device.
- Press the Volume rocker keys once and confirm by pressing on Power button once when the recovery mode option shows up.
- Enter the password you are using and let system decrypt in recovery mode.
- You can change the default language if you like – just follow on-screen prompts.
- For permanently installing TWRP recovery follow: tap on Install from main menu and choose Images..
- Then, load the recovery image package located on your smartphone and swipe in order to start the flashing process.
- That should be all; in the end go to main menu of recovery and pick ‘reboot system now’.
There you go; the steps explained and detailed above should help you successfully install TWRP recovery on your Xiaomi Mi 8 SE. You can access the recovery mode menu on your device easily – in that respect, for further details you can use this dedicated step by step guide. You can share how everything worked for you by using the comments field from below; also you can tell us how you plan to customize and optimize your device and we will afterwards try to assist you as soon as possible.