Using your Xperia Z2 on full power depends on a few things as when you first buy an Android smartphone, the same will be delivered with a locked system and with factory and default restrictions pre-installed. In that matter you should consider in performing a few custom operations on your device, such as gaining root access, unlocking the bootloader or installing a custom recovery image. In order to help you out, during the guidelines from below I will show you how to easily install TWRP recovery on your Sony Xperia Z2 – by using a one-click installer solution (the other mentioned operations are also explained here on Android.gs so don’t hesitate and use our dedicated step by step guides).
Since we are using a one-click install method, flashing TWRP recovery on your Xperia Z2 can be applied even by a newbie who is performing a custom operation for the first time. Anyway, before applying anything on your phone, make sure that you read all the guidelines from this tutorial; this operation is complex and risky and if you mess things up you can even end up in bricking or damaging your Android smartphone – everything will be fine if you use the steps from this guide.
You should first know that when you first buy your Android device, it will be delivered with a pre-installed recovery image; this is the stock recovery which can be used only for limited operations such as making a hard reset, clearing cache or backing up the data. But, in case you want more from your Xperia Z2 you will have to replace the stock recovery with a custom one, which in our case is TWRP recovery. With a custom recovery you will then be able to perform custom and complex operations like installing a custom kernel, make Nandroid backups, gaining root access, update with a custom ROM firmware, remove bloatware and so on.
Basically TWRP recovery will establish a connection between you and your phone’s internal system. In this way you will be able to “communicate” with your Xperia Z2 and you will be able to remove its default and factory restrictions for improving its performances, bumping the speeds, upgrading the battery life, customize the Android OS and so on. So, TWRP recovery represents a custom recovery image that must be used only if you think that you need to apply other complex operations.
TWRP recovery is in fact the touch based CWM recovery tool, which is the most popular custom recovery for Android devices. Thus, the tool is stable and offers great features that can be easily used on your Sony Xperia Z2.
Of course, it should be clear for you that TWRP recovery isn’t an official tool provided by Google or by Sony for your Xperia Z2. Therefore, this operation isn’t official so by completing the same you will lose your Xperia Z2 warranty – if something bad happens you will be by yourselves and you will have to fix your bricked Android device without taking it back to service – the official assistance might be quite expensive since the warranty has been voided. You can afterwards restore the warranty but only by reinstalling the factory and default restrictions on your Xperia Z2.
Also before starting the proper installation procedure, first take a look over the following list and apply the pre requisites which are being detailed there.
- This step by step guide is compatible only with the Sony Xperia Z2 model number D6502/D6503.
- Also your smartphone should be running on firmware version number of 17.1.1.A.0.402 (Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS) – go to “menu – settings – about phone – software version” and check for the same.
- Use this one-click-installer method for flashing TWRP recovery only if you own the mentioned Sony Xperia Z2 and only if your device is running the mentioned firmware – else you can end up in bricking your handset.
- Before doing anything else backup your data as everything that’s saved on the internal storage memory of your handset might get erased or corrupted during the installation process of TWRP recovery.
- Use backup and restore apps from Google Play, or use our compatible backup tutorials, in order to save your contacts list, call logs, market apps, internet settings, along with your personal data, info and accounts.
- It is important to know that this procedure will work only if you have unlocked the bootloader of your Sony Xperia Z2. So, ensure the same before starting the flashing operation – click on the link from above in order to access a detailed step by step guide.
- You will have to use a computer, your Sony Xperia Z2 and your phone’s USB cable; a connection between you devices must be established, so on you handset go to “menu – settings – developer options” and enable the USB debugging option.
- Also, on your computer deactivate – temporarily only – the security protection as the antivirus or antimalware programs might interfere with the flashing operation and then on the same computer install the Xperia Z2 drivers – you can get the same from here.
- It is important to charge your phone as if your device gets turned off in the middle of the installation operation, it might also get bricked – plug in the charger especially if the battery level is lower than 60%.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Xperia Z2 using One-click method
- Download the TWRP recovery package from here and save the file on your computer (preferable on desktop) – all the credits for this file go to those of xda-developers.
- Unzip the downloaded file on your computer.
- Connect your Sony Xperia Z2 with your computer by plugging in the USB cord.
- Now access the folder where TWRP recovery package has been extracted.
- From there run the 1-click-TWRP-recovery-installer.bat executable file.
- From this point just follow the on-screen prompts and wait while TWRP recovery is being installed on your Xperia Z2.
- In the end your phone will reboot automatically.
- You can learn how to access recovery mode by using our dedicated tutorial.
So, that was all for now as that was how you can easily install TWRP recovery on Sony Xperia Z2 by using a one-click installer method. Now, you can easily perform other operations on your device as its internal system is finally unchained – you can choose to update with a custom ROM, you can remove bloatware and you can customize and optimize the Android system. If you have questions or if you want to share your experience with us, don’t hesitate and use the comments field from below.