The HTC EVO 4G has just received an unofficial release of AOKP Jelly Bean ROM and you can use the instructions I’ve listed in this article to successfully flash it. Read the entire post and make sure to take a look at the preparation guidelines and only after that you should move to the tutorial.
This AOKP preview build is based on Jelly Bean and at the moment there are some features and functions that aren’t fully supported. The camera, 4G, Netflix, Hulu, HBO aren’t working at the moment. Also, there might some other bugs and errors and you should only install this update for testing reasons. The Jelly Bean firmware along with AOKP preview build will install Google Now, a new Project Butter interface, better and improved Android keyboard etc. If you wish to install this update correctly, then you will have to read the instructions I’ve listed in the preparation guide.
The guidelines listed below will help you configure your smartphone and it contains the applications you need to use in order to backup the data stored on your HTC EVO 4G, as the tutorial will ask you to wipe all data and factory reset the device. Here’s what you need to know:
- this guide will work only with the HTC EVO 4G and, you shouldn’t try to install this AOKP-based Jelly Bean preview ROM on the EVO 4G LTE device as it won’t work with it.
- the tutorial will ask you wipe data and factory reset, action which means that all installed apps and some other files will be removed in the process. Move the important files on your devices internal sdcard as that part of your phone won’t be deleted.
- to backup applications, APN settings, Call Logs and the SMS you should use the following tools: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. The APN Settings backup will allow you to restore the internet settings values in case you cannot connect to the internet after the update.
- Since this release is a preview alpha of AOKp and it might be full of errors, you should use ROM Manager or CWM Recovery mode to backup the existing ROM. However, these apps will work only with rooted devices.
- The update can be completed only if your device is rooted and CWM recovery is installed on it.
- To save the phone numbers use your Gmail account and sync them. Here’s a guide that teaches you how to do that.
- Enable the USB debugging option.
- Make sure that you charge the phone’s battery so that it won’t power off while you’re flashing the new ROM.
- This tutorial is for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t try to flash this ROM if you’re a beginners as you might end up bricking the device.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case something wrong occurs and your device will stop working. Read the entire tutorial before starting to apply the AOKP Jelly Bean preview build update.
I think that the above info is enough and now you can move to the tutorial and learn what steps you need to take in order to successfully install this new custom ROM. In cse you cannot complete the update, use the comments field to ask for help and we will get back to you.
How to update HTC EVO 4G with AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Preview Build custom ROM
- Download the AOKP preview ROM from HERE. Save the file on your computer’s desktop screen without unzipping the files.
- Next step is to move the downloaded file on your device’s internal sdcard.
- Power off your device after the transfer of the file is complete.
- Boot into custom recovery mode by pressing and holding ‘volume down’ + ‘power’ buttons until the screen powers on to recovery or into HBOOT. If HBOOT menu is shown you need to select ‘RECOVERY’ and confirm that you wish to load it.
- When in custom Recovery menu you will need to create a full backup of the existing ROM. Do it by selecting ‘Backup and Restore’ and then select ‘backup’. Wait for the backup to complete and after that move to the next step. If you already made a full backup of the existing ROM, then you can skip this step.
- Now select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm this process.
- When the wipe data process is complete you should select ‘install zip from sdcard’.
- Next, from the new menu, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option and browse your device for the ROM zip file. Select it for installation and confirm.
- After the Unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean preview ROM is installed you should return to the main custom recovery menu. Choose ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the first boot of the new ROM to complete.
- When you see the new Jelly Bean AOKP home screen you can enter use and test the new ROM. NOTE: in case the phone gets stuck at first boot or if it gets into a boot loop, then it means that it might’ve been bricked and you should repeat the entire tutorial once again from the beginning.
If the ROM has been successfully installed you should begin to test it and see which new features are working. If you don’t like this new AOKP unofficial preview build for Jelly Bean you should use the backup of the previous ROM and restore your device. If you have any extra questions, please use the comments field to ask for our help.