Install Unofficial CyanogenMod 10 ( CM10 ) Jelly Bean On Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 P7300 / P7310
CyanogenMod 10 Jelly Bean preview build has been released for the Galaxy Tab 8.9 model number P7300 and P7310. It will bring Google Now, butter interface improvements, advanced speech recognition, improved notifications and multiple other customization features. Use this guide to learn how to properly install this new Jelly Bean CM10 preview build on your tablet device.
This release is only an alpha ROM of CM10 and it ins’t official. Also, you should use it only if you’re wishing to test Jelly Bean and its features on your Galaxy Tab 8.9. Please note that you might find bugs and errors and that is why you should first create a full backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your tablet. The ROM might be buggy and you should backup the apps with Titanium or you can choose the applications I’ve listed in the preparation guide.
Use the preparation / pre-requisites info below to learn what you need to do so that you’ll manage to update your device successfully. Here’s what you need to know:
- install this CM10 preview on your Galaxy Tab 8.9 device that is model number P7300 or P7310. Do not attempt to install it on any other device with a different model number.
- to correctly install this ROM you will need to wipe the data and factory reset. This step is included in the tutorial and it means that you will have to backup all your files. Move them on your device’s internal sdcard.
- if you wish to backup installed apps, sms, call logs and APN Settings then you should use these tools for Android: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- you can choose to use CWM recovery or ROM manager to backup the entire ROM that your device is currently running and this means that in case the new CM10 based Jelly Bean ROM is too buggy or in case you simply don’t like then you will be able to restore the backup.
- Sync your Phone Contacts with your Gmail account and you won’t lose any important phone numbers. After the ROM is successfully installed you will be able to restore them by simply entering the same Gmail account.
- Enable USB debugging option.
- Make sure that your device’s battery is fully charged to prevent it from discharging during the update process.
- This tutorial works only with the Galaxy Tab 8.9 that has been rooted and it has CWM recovery installed on it. Without these requirements you won’t be able to update.
- This tutorial is destined to be used by an advanced user and in case you aren’t one then you should skip this guide as you risk to brick your tablet device. Use this guide at your own risk as we cannot be held responsible in case you damage your device.
- Use all the info I’ve listed and apply the tutorial guide steps only after you’ve read it first.
I think that these were all the steps you had to take in order to correctly prepare for the installation of CyanogenMod 10 preview ROM on your tablet. If you cannot complete the guide or in case you can’t understand some of the instructions I’ve listed then you should ask for help in comments. Now that you know all this, move to the tutorial and complete the update.
Update Galaxy Tab 8.9 P7300 / P7310 to CM10 Jelly Bean Preview Build ROM
- Download the ROM zip file by clicking the links below. Save the file on your computer without extracting its contents.
- Download the Google Apps for Jelly Bean HERE. This file needs to be flashed in order to install the Google Now, Play store, Gmail and all other Google based apps, applications that you will need to use if you wish to benefit from the full Jelly Bean experience.
- Now move the files you download at the previous step on your device’s internal sdcard. After that you will need to disconnect the phone from your PC and power it OFF.
- Boot into CWM Recovery mode by pressing and holding ‘power’ + ‘volume down’ buttons simultaneously until the screen powers on. You will now see two icons on your tablet’s display and you need to press Volume Down and then press Volume UP to load the ClockworkMod Recovery menu.
- When in Recovery mode you will need to select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm this operation. Please note that the sdcard won’t be touched by the wipe data process. When this is complete move to the next step.
- Now select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then from the next menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Point CWM recovery screen to the ROM zip file and confirm the installation.
- Next, repeat the step 6 and now install the GApps for Jelly Bean packaged. When you’re done with installing Google Apps you will need to return to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and your tablet will now start the first boot into Unofficial CM10 preview build for Jelly Bean. Note that the first boot process will take at least 10 minutes to complete and you should wait until then. If the first boot takes over 15 minutes then you will need to remove the tablet’s battery and re-insert it and then repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- If every thing went according to plan you will be shown the Jelly Bean home screen and you can enter your Google Account details to take control over your device.
I hope that this guide helped you install Jelly Bean unofficial CM10 preview ROM on your Galaxy Tab 8.9 P7300 / P7310. Make sure that in case you hit any roadblocks you will ask for our help in comments. Also, remember to return to our web site as we will post new guides when the official CM10 for your tablet will be released.