Google Nexus 4 has received a new custom ROM that you can flash easily using this tutorial. The Unofficial build of MIUI V5 for N4 smartphone packs tons of new features and services destined for users that wish to test a different OS than the current AOSP Android 4.3 JB ROM. Make sure to read the entire tutorial in order to manage to be able to flash all files at your first attempt.
This custom ROM is based on the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and in the tutorial you will find the Miui V5 Unofficial build zip plus the Gapps file.
There are two different ‘gapps’ files, the Extras V3 and No Extras V2. If you choose to flash one with Extras, then you will get the following apps installed on your Nexus 4: Gmail, Google+, Google Gallery with Photosphere camera 4.3, Google Now, Hnagouts, Voice Search, Maps, YouTube, Adaway for blocking ads, Custom Boot Animation, DSP Manager, Flash Player, Google Installer, Mediascanner, MIUI Keyboard, MiuiSPNConf, Rebooter and others.
The Gapps zip file with No Extras V2 contains only the basic Google apps: Gallery with Photosphere Camera 4.3, Play Store, News and Weather, Gmail. If you want to learn more about this custom ROM, then you should read this MIUI forum thread here.
Before starting the installation, you need to take a look at the following guidelines:
- This tutorial will work only with the Google Nexus 4. Don’t try to flash the files you find here on any other Android devices.
- The Nexus 4 you’re about to update with this Unofficial MIUI V5 custom ROM should be on an unlocked bootloader, rooted and running a custom Recovery image like CWM or TWRP.
- In the how-to guide you will be asked to apply a factory reset for a clean installation. This means that you will lose all data stored on the system partition, files such as installed app data, contacts, SMS, Call Logs and other similar files will be removed in the process.
- If you want to backup installed apps data then you can use the following tools: Helium from Google Play or Titanium Backup.
- To backup SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings use these apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access will be needed for some of these tools.
- Backup your Contacts data by syncing it with your Gmail default account.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Check the phone’s battery and make sure that there is enough power left before the Nexus 4 powers off completely.
- This tutorial is for advanced users. Do not attempt to flash this unofficial MIUI Jelly Bean 4.3 ROM is you don’t know how to use Recovery Mode to flash custom ROMs for your device.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong, you brick the device or you lose any important data in the process.
- Don’t skip any steps and read the whole tutorial before starting the update.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the tutorial.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Before flashing the ROM you should remove the PIN, as it is broken in this custom ROM build.
How to flash the Unofficial MIUI V5 Jelly Bean 4.3 ROM for Google Nexus 4:
- Download the MIUI V5 Unofficial build from here.
– save the file on your PC and don’t extract its contents.
- Download the Gapps file for your Nexus 4:
– get the Gapps + Extras V5 file from here.
– get the Gapps No Extras V2 from here.
> download the file that you wish to flash and don’t unzip it.
- After the files are downloaded, then you should connect the device with your computer.
- Move the Unofficial MIUI V5 ROM and Gapps zips to your phone’s internal storage.
– when both files have been copied you can disconnect the Nexus 4 from PC.
- Power off the Google Nexus 4 now completely.
- Boot it into Bootloader Mode, then into Custom Recovery Mode.
– if you don’t know how to boot then you will find this info here helpful.
– both CWM and TWRP Recovery will work with this guide.
- When you’re at the main Custom Recovery Screen then you should first create a NANDROID Backup of your current ROM:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’ option. Confirm.
– TWRP Recovery: press Backup button, then select the system files you wish to backup and confirm the process.
> this step will set a restore point for your device that can be used in case the new ROM doesn’t boot correctly or you simply you’re not a fan of it after installation.
- Next, apply the ‘factory reset':
– CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, then confirm.
– TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
> if you don’t apply this step then the new ROM might not boot successfully.
- Now you can finally install the custom MIUI V5 unofficial ROM:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip file. Confirm the installation.
– TWRP Recovery: press Install, then find the Custom ROM zip. Confirm by sliding the blue button at the bottom of the screen.
- Wait several minutes for the MIUI ROM to be installed. When that happens, you need to use the same actions as in step 9 and flash Gapps zip. Confirm.
- Now that you’ve managed to complete the installation of both zips, return to the main custom Recovery Mode menu.
- Reboot your smartphone now and wait for it to boot into normal mode.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to update your device. In case you have any problems with the installation then you can ask for more help in comments.