Install Unofficial Port of AOKP Jelly Bean Preview custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100
Rushabh25, an XDA Senior Member, managed to create an unofficial AOKP preview port for the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 and you can use the instructions listed in this article to learn how to successfully install this new custom ROM. Read the entire article and if you have any questions then you should tell us in comments and we will get back to you.
This AOKP based ROM isn’t an official release and you shouldn’t use it as a day to day ROM as it might contain errors and bugs. As you might know the CyanogenMod 10 Jelly Bean preview build was already released and you can test it using this guide here. As you already know this AOKP build is Jelly Bean and it will bring all new functions and features such as Google Now, project Butter, advanced speech recognition, better keyboard and multiple other new elements.
Before we can begin to flash this new ROM you will first need to prepare the device so that you’ll manage to apply this update at your first attempt. Here’s what you need to know and what steps to take prior to installing AOKP preview of Jelly Bean on SGS2 I9100:
- Use this ROM to update only the Galaxy S2 I9100 device. Do not attempt to install it on any other devices as that might brick the phone.
- Seeing that you want to install a new ROM, in the tutorial you will find a step that tells you to wipe data/ factory reset. This means that all installed apps and other files will be removed by the update process. The files you wish to backup should be moved on your devices’ internal SD card as this won’t be wiped.
- Also, since this AOKP custom ROM is a preview build you might want to create a full backup of the existing I9100 ROM. This will be easy to use in case you find too many bugs and errors.
- If you don’t wish to backup the entire ROM but you wish to backup applications, SMS, Call Logs and the APN Settings, then you should use the instructions on these posts: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync the Phone Contacts with your Gmail account. After the update is complete you simply need to enter the same account and all phone numbers will be successfully restored.
- Use the ‘root’ section of our web site to find a working rooting guide for your Galaxy S2 device. Also, remember to install CWM Recovery, as without these pre-requisites, you won’t be able to flash thew new ROM. If your device already meets these requirements then you should skip this part.
- Enable USB debugging option on your device. After that make sure to charge the phone’s battery so that it won’t power off while you’re installing the new custom AOKP preview Jelly Bean ROM.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case your device gets bricked or you lose any other data. Make sure that you apply all the steps and you read all the instructions that I have listed. If you have any other questions, please use the comments filed.
Now that you’ve done all and understood all the above instructions you should begin the update process.
How to update Galaxy S2 I9100 to unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean preview custom ROM
- Download the AOKP unofficial ROM zip file HERE. Save the file on your PC and do not extract the contents.
- Now move the file downloaded at step 1 on your smartphone’s internal SDcard. After the file is transferred you should unplug the phone from your computer and power it OFF.
- Boot into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done by pressing and holding ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons. Release these buttons only when the screen powers ON.
- When the ClockworkMod Recovery menu appears you will have to select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm this step and when you’re with it move to the next step.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the new menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip file on your devices SD card and confirm that you wish to install it.
- After the installation is complete you will have to go back to the main recovery menu and then select ‘reboot system now’. Your phone will not start the first boot into AOKP Jelly Bean Preview ROM.
- When the first boot process is complete you will have to enter your Google account details and from then on you can start testing this new Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM.
NOTE: In case your device cannot go past the first boot you will have to remove its battery and then repeat the entire tutorial once again. Make sure that you apply the step 4 as without the data wipe action your device won’t be able to run this new ROM.
Remember that this custom ROM AOKP is a beta preview build and you should use it only for testing reasons. It might contains bugs and errors, and if you find something like that, then you should tell us in comments. Also, use the comments section to post any extra tips and tricks on how to improve the Galaxy S2 I9100.