Install Vanilla RootBOX Android 4.2.2 JB Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G
The Vanilla RootBOX reached the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean build and now you can install it on your Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G. It is based on AOKP, CyanogenMod 10.1, Paranoid Android and on AOSP Jelly Bean 4.2. Read the entire tutorial and you should be able to flash the new custom ROM in under 5 minutes without problems.
Galaxy S2 I9100G might not receive an official Android 4.2.2 JB ROM from Samsung but, this doesn’t mean that you cannot experience the latest Jelly Bean OS. Vanilla RootBOX Android 4.2 ROM doesn’t contain any bloatware and it brings new features and customization tools for you to create your favorite Android environment for your I9100G SGS2 device.
Other important features of this custom ROM: PhotoSphere, better Google Now, Daydream, LockScreen widgets support, gesture typing, multiuser, Camera can save to external storage, OTA Updates via Goo Manager, Noise suppression, improved MMS functions, Emoji Support added for MMS, Clock alarm new custom functions, per application DPI, per app Language, per app tablet Ui. There are tons of other small tweaks but you can discover them only by using this ROM.
In order to make sure that you successfully flash this build of Vanilla RootBOX Jelly Bean 4.2 ROM for the Galaxy S2 I9100G, you need to read the guidelines below:
- Use this post only for the I9100G variant of the Samsung Galaxy S2 phone. Don’t use this post for the I9100 model as it work. Check the model number of your phone by opening Settings and then the About Device menu.
- Your smartphone should be rooted and running a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP. Without these you cannot complete the installation of this new ROM.
- Use the custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your currently installed OS. This will create a restore point for your phone and you can use it in case the device doesn’t boot into normal mode after the installation is complete.
- We’re gonna use the CWM Recovery mode to install the Vanilla RootBOX ROM. If you have the TWRP Recovery installed, then you should know that the instructions are very similar and you will be able to complete the update using this post.
- In the tutorial you will find a step asking you to wipe data and factory reset your device. Confirm that step but, you will lose all data from the /system partition. That’s where the applications are stored along with SMS, Call Logs info and other similar data. Some of these files can be backed up using these apps for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Root access will be asked for some of these tools.
- Sync the Contacts / People with the Gmail account. You will be able to restore all your saved phone numbers and contact details by entering the same Google account.
- Make sure that your device’s battery charge level is over 50%. It prevents it from switching off in the middle of the updating process.
- We cannot be blamed in case you lose any data in the process nor in case you brick your smartphone. This is a guide for advanced users and you shouldn’t attempt to use it in case you’re a novice.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps that I have listed.
These were all the pre-installation instructions, now you can continue to the next part of this article and learn how to flash the new custom ROM on your I9100G device.
How to install Vanilla RootBOX Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G:
- Download the custom ROM zip file from HERE. Save the file on your computer without extracting its contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from HERE. Don’t unzip and save the file on your PC.
- Connect your I9100G phone to your PC and then move both files on to its internal SDcard. Disconnect the device from PC.
- Power off your smartphone now.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode by pressing and holding at the same time Volume Up, Home and Power buttons. Release the buttons when the screen powers ON and flickers.
- IMPORTANT: Create a NANDROID backup of your currently installed ROM using the ‘backup and restore’ option from the main menu of the Recovery Mode. This sets a restore point for your phone and you can use it in case the new Vanilla RootBOX doesn’t boot.
- Get back to the main CWM Recovery menu and select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm this process.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Vanilla RootBOX Jelly Bean zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- The installation shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes. When the ROM is installed you will need to select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Install the Gapps zip file.
- After both files have been successfully installed, return to the main screen of the custom Recovery mode.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until your Galaxy S2 I9100G boots successfully with the new Vanilla RootBOX Jelly Bean ROM.
- The first boot process shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to load. When you’re welcomed by the Vanilla RootBOX JB home screen you will need to enter your Google Account details and take control over your device.
- That’s it, you’ve installed a new ROM on your I9100G SGS2 and now you’re free to start testing all of its features.
NOTE: If the ROM doesn’t install or the phone doesn’t boot with it, then you will need to power off the device by removing its battery. Re-insert it after 5 seconds and then repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 5. Some Custom ROMs are usually not installed at your first attempt, which is why you should retry the entire process once again.
If you have any other problems then you can ask for more help in our comments section.
Also, if you don’t like the new Vanilla RootBOX Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM then you should use the backup files created at step 6 and restore them using the custom Recovery mode.