Install Vanilla RootBOX Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100
Vanilla RootBOX is another custom ROM for Galaxy S2 I9100 that has reached a build based on the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. You can learn how to successfully install it using this tutorial guide.
This guide is for advanced Android users. The Vanilla RootBOX custom ROM uses the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 AOSP ROM and it borrows AOKP and CM features along with some other useful tools from other ROMs. Its most important features are the following: per app DPI, per app tablet UI, per app langauge, OTA update via Goo Manager, advanced phone settings, phone noise supression, MMS rate alerts, fully customizable MMS theme, MMS Soft keyboard theme, accessibility option for home button call answer option, LCD density changer, low battery warning sounds, disable fullscreen keyboard, expanded desktop, hold back to kill apps, CRT Animation for Screen ON/ OFF, lockscreen shortcuts, cLock (chronus) and multiple others.
The PIE Controls have also been included. As you know, this is a feature made popular by the Paranoid Android team. In order to make sure that you successfully flash this custom ROM on your Galaxy S2 you will need to follow the guidelines listed below:
- this guide will work only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100. Don’t try to flash the files on any other Android device.
- the Galaxy S2 you’re about to use should be rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP.
- Use the custom Recovery mode and create a full NANROID backup of your current ROM. This has to be applied so that you’ll set a restore point for your phone.
- The tutorial will ask you to wipe data and factory reset your device so that the new ROM will install fresh. NOTE: if your phone is already sporting a previous build of the Vanilla RootBOX Jelly Bean ROM, then you shouldn’t factory reset the phone as you can flash the new build over the old one.
- Move all important data to your device’s internal SDcard. That part of your phone’s storage won’t be deleted in the process. If you plan on saving the SMS, Call logs or other similar data use the following tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Root access will be required for some of these apps.
- Sync your Gmail account with the Contacts / People app. You will backup all your saved phone numbers and all the other Contacts data.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t blame us in case you brick the phone or you lose any important data in the process.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left in it so that the device won’t switch off while you’re installing the new custom ROM.
- Read all the info listed in the tutorial. Do not skip any steps that I’ve listed as you wouldn’t want for the updating process to fail.
- In case you complete the update, then you should ask for more help in our comments field.
I think that these were all the guidelines that you had to take a look at before continuing to the interesting part of this post.
How to install Vanilla RootBOX Jelly Bean 4.2.2 for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100:
- Download the custom ROM zip from HERE or from HERE. Save the file on your PC and do not unzip its contents.
- Download the Gapps for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from HERE. This file contains all the Google-based apps that you need in order to benefit from the entire Jelly Bean 4.2 experience. Save it on your computer without extracting its contents.
- Connect your Galaxy S2 to computer and then move the files downloaded in steps 1 and 2 on to its internal SDcard. Disconnect the phone from PC when the files are copied with success.
- Power off your phone.
- Boot the SGS2 into CWM Recovery mode. Use TWRP Recovery if you have that one installed on your device. I’ve used ClockworkMod but the steps are exactly the same for TWRP.
- Select ‘backup and restore’ option from the main menu of the custom Recovery mode. Create a full NANDROID backup of your current and when you’re done you have to return to the main menu of the Recovery mode. NOTE: If you already have a backup then you can skip this step.
- IMPORTANT: Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm.
- Now you need to install the new ROM by selecting ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Vanilla RootBOX Jelly Bean ROM zip and confirm that you want to install it.
- Select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ when the ROM is installed. This time you will have to flash the Gapps file. Confirm.
- When the installation of both files has been completed you need to get back to the main menu of the Recovery mode.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until the device powers into normal mode using the new Vanilla RootBOX ROM.
- Enter your Google Account credentials and take control over your device.
NOTE: If the first boot process takes too long to complete or the phone gets into a boot loop, then you should power off the device completely. After that you need to repeat the entire tutorial once again as these custom ROMs are usually acting up and it might not install at the first attempt.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the installation of the ROM and that you like how it works with your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 smartphone. If you have any other questions or you got stuck attempting to update the phone, then you should ask for more help in comments. But, make sure to leave a detailed comment so that I’ll be able to come up with a proper solution for your problems.
In case you don’t like this new Vanilla RootBOX Android 4.2.2 JB ROM, then you should use the custom Recovery mode and restore your phone to its previous state using the NANDROID backup file you created before completing the installation of the new OS.