VanirAOSP is a brand new Android 4.4.2 custom ROM that has been launched for the Galaxy S2 I9100G device. Read this entire post and you should be able to complete the installation in under five minutes.
This custom ROM has been created by a group of developers called TeamVanir, it packs tons of features and improvements that should give you a great way to test a KitKat ROM on your phone. More info about VanirAOSP KitKat can be found at this XDA thread here. Read the guidelines below before starting the updating process for your device:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G — the TI OMAP model.
- do not attempt to update any other smartphone with the files that you will find in this post, as you will end up bricking your smartphone.
- Your phone has to be rooted and running the latest build of CWM Recovery image.
- note that the TWRP Recovery will also work if it is updated to its latest version.
- It is highly important for you to try and create a full NANDROID ROM backup for the installed OS.
- this will create a restore point for your device, one that can be used in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- do not skip this step, as you will find in the tutorial part of this post.
- Factory Reset has to be applied, too. This will wipe all data from system partition, but the files stored on the internal / external storage will not be affected by the process.
- Factory Reset step is found in the tutorial, you won’t miss it.
- Backup data from installed applications and SMS text messages using the Helium tool for Android.
- Sync your important Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- guide here if you don’t know how to do it.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- The Galaxy S2 battery charge level should be over 50%, so that the phone won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- Read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and note that you cannot blame us in case you brick the device or lose any important data in the process.
- If you cannot complete the guide, then you can always choose for extra help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, you can continue to the next part of this guide and learn how to update your device with a brand new Kitkat custom ROM.
Remember that this is not an official Samsung OTA Update, but a small custom ROM that offers you the possibility to test one of the latest Android operating systems.
How to flash VanirAOSP Android 4.4.2 ROM for Galaxy S2 I9100G:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
- make sure to download the latest build available.
- Download Gapps for this custom ROM from here.
- Use the USB Cable and connect your phone to your computer, then copy both files to its internal storage.
- after the files are copied to your Galaxy S2 you can disconnect the phone from computer.
> do not unzip the contents of this zip file.
- Power off your device now.
- Now you can boot the phone in CWM Recovery / TWRP Recovery:
- press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power, all buttons at the same time.
> release the buttons when the custom Recovery screen appears.
- First you will need to create a full NANDROID ROM Backup:
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, give a name for the file and confirm process.
- TWRP: press Backup, name the file and then swipe to confirm process.
- Apply the Factory Reset for your device:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, then confirm process.
- TWRP: press Wipe, then swipe to confirm factory reset.
> get to the next step when you’re done.
- Now you can flash the brand new Custom ROM:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the VanirAOSP file and confirm the installation.
- TWRP: press Install, then find the ROM file and swipe to confirm process.
> don’t press any buttons until the new ROM is installed successfully.
- Use the same options as in step 8 and flash the Gapps zip file.
- When all files are installed you need to return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot the Galaxy S2 I9100G in normal mode now.
> note that the first boot process takes a while to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until you see the home screen of VanirAOSP.
- If you’ve managed to complete installation correctly you will see the home screen. Use your Google Account info and take control over your device now.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully update your smartphone. If the first installation attempt fails you should try to repeat the entire tutorial, but you need to make sure that you won’t skip any steps that I’ve listed above including Factory Reset.
In case you decide to repeat the guide, then make sure to apply Factory Reset along with the ‘format /system’ option. If you need any extra help then you should ask for help in comments.
If you don’t like how VanirAOSP works with your Galaxy S2 I9100G, then you can always restore the phone to its previous OS using the step 6 NANDROID ROM Backup file and the same custom Recovery Mode.