Install VikingWay SnowStorm custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 ( Based on Android 4.1.2 Firmware )
A brand new custom ROM has been leaked for the Galaxy S3 I9300 smartphone. This new release is based on Android 4.1.2 and it is called VikingWay Snowstorm ROM. Read all the instructions that I’ve listed in this post and you’ll easily manage to install it on your device.
This new custom ROM comes with multiple new features and it doesn’t contain any bloatware. It is a light ROM as it only measures 400MB in size. It has been created by ‘memberschoolsux’, an XDA member and developer. It is pretty fast and stable release and, if you’re a tinkerer and you want to install it then you should first read the guidelines below:
- Install it only on the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 smartphone. Do not try to flash its files on any other Android device.
- Obviously, your device has to be rooted and running CWM Recovery.
- CWM Recovery should be used to create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM.
- Use the following tools to create a list of installed apps, backups for SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Some of these apps require root access and you have to grant it.
- To backup your Contacts you will need to sync them with your own Gmail account.
- Enable USB Debugging. Also, make sure that you charge your phone’s battery so that it won’t power off during the installation of this new Android 4.1.2 custom ROM.
- Remember that we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong after installing the ROM. Also, we cannot be blamed if your phone is bricked during the update.
- Don’t skip any steps that I have listed in the tutorial guide.
Now that you know all of the above, move to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully flash a custom ROM on your I9300 smartphone.
How to install VikingWay SnowStorm Android 4.1.2 custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the custom ROM zip from HERE or HERE. Save the file on your PC and don’t unzip its contents.
- Download the VikingWay 2.3 update zip file from HERE or here. Don’t extract the zip contents.
- Connect your device to your computer with the USB data cable. Now move both files downloaded on its internal SDcard and after you’re done, disconnect the device from PC.
- Power off the SGS3 phone.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done if you press at the same time Volume Up, Home and Power. When the SGS3 logo appears you can release the buttons.
- If you don’t have a ROM backup, then you need to use the ‘backup and restore’ option from CWM Recovery menu. If you have a backup then you can get directly to the next step.
- Next, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm this process.
- Now you can install the ROM by selecting ‘install zip from SDcard’. From the new menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then find the custom ROM zip file. Install it.
- When the ROM is installed you should select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Now find the VikingWay 2.3 update zip and install it.
- Return to the main CWM Recovery menu and then you can select ‘reboot system now’.
- The SGS3 I9300 now starts the first boot process with the new ROM. It should take less than 7 minutes.
- Enter your Google Account and then take control over your device once again.
- Now you can begin testing the VikingWay Snowstorm Android 4.1.2-based custom ROM.
If you don’t like this new ROM, then you can easily use the backup file of your device’s previous ROM and CWM Recovery to restore your device to its previous state.
NOTE: If the first boot process doesn’t complete with this new ROM, then you will have to repeat the entire tutorial once again. Eventually the VikingWay Snowstorm custom JB ROM will install. If you have any other problems, ask for more help in comments.