The Verizon Galaxy Nexus device can now support a new custom ROM that is based on Android 4.2.1 AOSP. Use this guide to learn how to successfully flash the XenonHD JB ROM on your device. Note that this is not an official firmware by Verizon and you should use this post only if you’re an advanced Android user who likes to customize his smartphone UI.
XenonHD custom ROM comes with a very stable kernel and it brings tons of modifications and tweaks for your device. Use all the instructions that I have listed in this post if you want to successfully flash the new custom ROM. It features several themes and other nice UI touches that should make your Android experience better. In order to correctly install the custom ROM, you need to read the guidelines below firstly:
- Use this guide only with the Verizon variant of the Galaxy Nexus with the model number I515. Do not try to flash the XenonHD JB custom ROM zip on any other Android smartphone.
- Your device should be on unlocked bootloader and rooted. Also you obviously need the CWM recovery in order to install the custom ROM. If your device doesn’t meet these requirements then you won’t be able to complete this tutorial.
- Use CWM Recovery and create a full NANDROID backup of your currently installed Android OS. It will set a restore point for your device and you can easily use it in case something goes wrong and you cannot use the phone after the custom ROM installs.
- You can save a list of installed apps, create backups of SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings. Use these Android tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Some of these tools will ask for root access and you have to grant it.
- To backup the saved Contacts details, you should sync them with your Gmail account.
- Enable the USB Debugging option from the Developer Options. NOTE: After you install this ROM you will need to unblock the ‘Developer Options’ menu by opening Settings, then About phone and then press ‘Build Number’ seven times.
- We cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong and you brick the device in the process.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you won’t skip any steps, as that will result in a failed ROM installation attempt and you will then have to repeat the entire tutorial until you do manage to flash the ROM.
These were all the guidelines you had to read and now you can get to the next part of this post and learn how to properly flash the new Android 4.2.1 custom OS on your smartphone.
How to update Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus I515 with XenonHD Android 4.2.1 Custom ROM:
- Download the custom ROM from HERE. Save the file on your computer and don’t unzip its contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.1 / CM10.1 from HERE.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC and move the download zip files on its internal SD card. Don’t unzip the files.
- Disconnect the device and after that you can power off the Galaxy Nexus I515.
- Boot into Fastboot mode by pressing at the same time Volume Up, Volume Down and Power. Release these buttons when the Fastboot selection menu appears. Choose ‘Recovery’ option and then confirm that you want to boot into CWM Recovery mode.
- When you’re at the main recovery screen you can choose to use the ‘backup and restore’ option. Create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM in case you don’t have one yet. Get to the next step when done or you can skip the backup creation in case you already have such file.
- Now, select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option from the main Recovery selection screen. Confirm this process.
- Next, select ‘install zip from SDcard’ and then, from the next recovery menu you need to select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the XenonHD JB custom ROM zip and confirm that you want to install it.
- When the ROM installs, select once again ‘choose zip from SD card’. Find the Gapps file and install it.
- After all file have been successfully installed you will need to Go Back to the main CWM Recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for the first boot process of XenonHD custom ROM to complete. This will not take more than 5 minutes. When all files and applications were loaded you will see the Welcome home screen and you can take control over your device again.
- Enter your Google Account and then you can begin testing this new ROM.
NOTE: In case the first boot process takes too long then you will have to power off the device and then repeat the entire tutorial once again. Eventually you should be able to flash the XenonHD custom ROM with success. You can ask for extra instructions in comments, but make sure to leave a detailed comment with the steps you took and where you got stuck, so that we can give you the best solution to your problems.
These were all the steps and guidelines you had to take into consideration in order to install the XenonHD Jelly Bean 4.2.1 custom ROM on your Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus I515 smartphone.
Make sure that you test all ROM features and in case you don’t like this new Android 4.2.1 custom OS, then you can easily use the previous ROM backup file and CWM Recovery to restore your device to its previous state.