Use this guide if you want to learn how to flash the latest XXUFNB9 KitKat firmware for your Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 model.
Read the entire post and you should be able to complete the installation in under ten minutes without bricking the smartphone. Before staring the updating process you should take a look at the guidelines below:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE model number I9505.
- don’t try to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this article.
- make sure that you have the Samsung USB Drivers installed on your PC.
- without these drivers installed your PC can’t detect the Galaxy S4 phone.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options section.
- if Developer Options is not enabled in Settings, then you need to enable it –
- if you can’t do it, then you can use the info in this post – that’s a guide for Galaxy S5 but it works with all Samsung devices.
- disable the Samsung KIES software if it is installed on your PC.
- disable any antivirus program from running on your computer.
- we will use ODIN to flash the new ROM, the KIES app or an antivirus will block it from sending any files to smartphone.
- if your phone has a custom Recovery or a custom ROM installed, then these will get removed completely along with the entire system partition.
- the external microSD card should be removed before starting the process, so that you won’t risk losing any data stored on it.
- if your device runs stock Android, then no files will be affected by the updating process.
- if the Galaxy S4 device is rooted, then you should know that this update will remove root and restore the device’s warranty.
- check your phone’s battery, make sure that it has at least 50% before it switches off completely.
- use this post only if you’re an advanced Android user.
- note that we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone or you lose any data in the process.
These were all the guidelines you had to go over before getting to the tutorial part.
How to flash XXUFNB9 Android 4.4 KitKat for Galaxy S4 I9505:
- Download I9505XXUFNB9 zip file.
- note that you need to have an account at SamMobile if you want to be able to download the firmware file.
- Extract the contents of this zip file and save them on your computer.
- the firmware file has the .tar.md5 extension, don’t extract any further than that.
- Download the ODIN 3.09 from here.
- extract its contents and save them on your PC.
- Power off the Galaxy S4 I9505.
- Boot the phone in Android Download Mode.
- if you can’t boot Download Mode, then you can use this tutorial.
- Launch ODIN executable on your computer.
- Connect the phone to your PC via USB data cable.
- wait for ODIN to recognize the phone, then continue with the installation.
- Go to ODIN 3.09 main screen and press the ‘AP’ button.
- Load the I9505XXUFNB9 firmware tar.md5 file.
- make sure that ‘Re-partition’ option is disabled.
- don’t edit any other default ODIN Settings.
- When you’re ready for the update simply press the START button.
- Confirm process.
- When the installation is complete ODIN will display the ‘PASS’ alert and the phone will reboot in normal mode.
- Use your Google Account info in order to take control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the update for your Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE to the latest Android 4.4 KitKat version. If you need any extra help then you should use the comments field below.
In case the update fails at the first attempt you shouldn’t give up and keep trying several times until you manage to complete the installation.