Samsung just released the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OTA update for the European Galaxy S3 and as we know, the European releases are the best. Anyway, because of that and because many users want to flash the new XXUGMK6 firmware on their devices, during the present tutorial I will show you how to apply the official update manually, without waiting for the OTA roll out. Therefore, don’t hesitate and learn how to update your Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.3 XXUGMK6 Jelly Bean OS.
Unfortunately, we are still talking about Jelly Bean on the Galaxy S3. Android 4.4 KitKat is already out, but only for Nexus devices, so the S3 users will have to wait a little bit more until they will be able to experience the new Android OS on their own smartphones. Anyway, until then, this Android 4.3 roll out should do the trick. As I have mentioned during the introduction of this article, the XXUGMK6 software has been launched by Samsung in Europe, so we are dealing with the official Jelly Bean 4.3 system that can be flashed on the Galaxy S3 I9300.
Android 4.3 XXUGMK6 OS is stable and comes without bugs or issues. Actually the firmware brings bug fixes and stability improvements for the Galaxy S3 users. Also with this ROM you can enjoy the latest features, apps and capabilities that are being available on the Android system, everything being optimized especially for your SGS3. Therefore, with Android 4.3 XXUGMK6 your phone will run faster, the battery life will last longer, you will be able to enjoy better performances, an improved web browsing experience and lot more.
It should be clear for you that this is an official software and not a custom ROM. That’s why you will be enjoying the stock and pure Android Jelly Bean firmware that is coming only with stock features and not with extra ones. That’s why when applying this firmware you don’t need to have a rooted device and you don’t need to use a custom recovery image. Don’t worry, the tutorial can be safely completed in case your S3 is currently rooted and installed with a custom recovery, though the root access will be revoked, the stock recovery reinstalled and the bootloader relocked.
On the other hand, by completing this tutorial you will be able to fix your Android device (if it has been damaged while performing unofficial procedures) and also to restore its warranty (if the warranty has been voided before – usually this is happening when gaining root access or when unlocking the bootloader). Don’t worry, as the new Android 4.3 XXUGMK6 firmware can also be rooted but by using a suitable guide – the same will be developed during the following days so stay close and check out our how to section for the same.
In order to succeed with this process, first you will have to prepare your Galaxy S3 for the installation operation that will follow. For doing so, do check the list from below and apply the tasks explained and described there.
- Odin will be used on the update operation; so you will use an official tool designed especially for these operations – that’s why you have nothing to worry about.
- For being able to properly use Odin you will have to use a windows based computer or notebook.
- Also, for avoiding the unpleasant situations, on your computer there shouldn’t be running security tools.
- So before going any further temporarily deactivate the antivirus and antimalware protection.
- This is a manual operation so the update procedure will take a while. It is important to keep your Galaxy S3 opened during the installation procedure of Android 4.3 XXUGMK6.
- So, if the battery status is indicating less than 50% power, first plug in the charger; else skip this step.
- Backup the data which is saved on the internal storage memory of your phone.
- Yes, I know that when using Odin it is unlikely to lose your personal info, data and accounts. But it is also true that in rare cases the data gets corrupted or even erased. So, for being sure that nothing bad happens you need to save everything that’s important to you.
- Use backup and restore apps from Google Play for saving your contacts, the EFS folder, the text messages, market apps or call logs.
- Android 4.3 XXUGMK6 firmware has been released by Samsung for the Galaxy S3 model number I9300. Because of that this step by step guide is compatible only with the mentioned smartphone; using the steps from below for a different Android device will end up with a bricked Android device, so be careful and try not to mess things up.
How to Install XXUGMK6 Android 4.3 on Galaxy S3 I9300 and Update to Official JB Firmware
- Download the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean official OS from here.
- Save this file on your computer.
- Unzip the update on desktop.
- Download Odin.
- Unzip the program and install the same.
- Install the Galaxy S3 drivers on your computer – use Samsung KIES if you want to flash the drivers automatically.
- Run Odin on your PC and turn off your smartphone.
- Reboot your handset in download mode.
- On Samsung devices the download mode can be reached by pressing on Power, Home and Volume down buttons at the same time.
- With the S3 booted in download mode and with Odin running on the PC, use the USB cable and connect both devices.
- Then take a look on Odin as the program needs to recognize your phone.
- If everything works as planned, on Odin the “added” message must be displayed and the ID:COM section must be yellow or blue.
- If not, you will have to close Odin, unplug the USB cable and reinstall the S3 drivers. Then redo the steps from above until everything is working as described.
- From Odin you then have to select “PDA”.
- Also you now need to pick the Android 4.3 firmware file.
- Finally, you need to press on “start”.
- When the flashing operation is over, on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed and the ID:COM section will turn green.
- Then you can safely unplug the USB cable and reboot your phone as you are done.
In some cases your S3 might get stuck on the final reboot. In that case you need to boot in recovery and you need to select from there: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”. Then just select “reboot system now” and you are done. Also, in rare cases Odin might get stuck; well this problem can be resolved by doing the following: close Odin; unplug the USB cord; reflash the drivers; force restart your SGS3; repeat the update process from the beginning. For any other problems use our dedicated tutorial from here.
Congratulation, you have completed the steps by step guide. Now, your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 is running on official Android 4.3 XXUGMK6 Jelly Bean OS. Test this firmware and return here for sharing your impressions and thoughts with us – just use the comments area from below and we will assist you as soon as possible.