LG V30 is indeed one of the best Android based smartphones that can be currently purchased. However, the phone aims a particular type of customers since its relatively high display will not be preferred by some. Anyway, if you think that the LG V30 is way too big for you, or way too expensive for your budget, then you can port its main functionality on your LG G6.
In this way you can somehow get a similar LG V30 experience right on your LG G6 and this without having to upgrade in any manner. But, I’m not talking about the LG V30 Android system, but about a particular feature: the camera app. Of course, the camera app that runs on the LG V30 is the most appreciated feature that was introduced with the new phablet, thus installing the software on the LG G6 is quite a big deal.
Now, thanks to those of xda-developers (the official web page can be accessed here) you can successfully flash the LG V30 camera app on the LG G6. All the new camera features will work and run without issues on your LG G6 since the devs managed to port and compile almost everything – except from the Cine mode which is dependent on the camera hardware and not on the software system.
According to the users who have already tried this camera port, everything is running like a charm. The camera app will be running just like on the LG V30 – without lags, hangs and bugs so you will be able to capture the best pictures and to record some outstanding videos.
If you want to test it by yourself, some additional things must be ensured first, as I will try to explain everything during the following guidelines:
The LG V30 camera app was succesfully ported by those of xda-developers. Therefore, this app is not officially available for your LG G6. Shortly, this installation process isn’t backed up by LG and it cannot be related with your OEM in any manner. That’s why, you will be able to complete the steps from below only after applying other three tweaking operations:
- You must unlock your LG G6 bootloader – that’s how you can start an Android unlock process.
- You must install TWRP recovery on your LG G6 – the camera app is offered in form of a .zip file which can be successfully installed only if a custom recovery image can be used.
- Your LG G6 must be rooted – a third party app can be flashed only if your Android system is fully unlocked, and that’s what you obtain once root access is ensured.
Do note that these three additional operations aren’t official. Therefore, you will risk in losing your LG G6 warranty – if are not feeling comfortable when thinking about the possibility of losing your phone’s warranty, maybe a good idea will be to stop right here. Hint: the warranty can be restored if you choose to reinstall the stock Android OS – then, root access will be revoked, the bootloader relocked, the stock recovery image reinstall and the bloatware re-applied.
As a precaution measure I recommend you to backup your LG G6 before initiating all the steps from below. That’s how you can make sure that everything that’s personal and important will remain in safe hands all the time – in rare situations you might end up in losing the data that’s not there from day one. So, take your time and find the best ways in which you can backup your personal data, info, accounts and files.
This is going to be a manual operation which means a computer is required and that your phone’s USB cable should be there too. On your LG G6 Developer Options must be enabled – otherwise, go and tap repeatedly on Built Number until you notice the ‘you are a developer’ prompt. Then, from Developer Option check the USB Debugging feature and the Unknown Sources option.
And of course, make sure you are following this installation process only for the LG G6 – the LG V30 camera app port that’s offered below is currently compatible only with the LG G6, so try not to mess things up (you can soft brick your Android device if you’re not careful enough).
How to Install the LG V30 camera app port on LG G6
- From here you can download the LG V30 camera app for your LG G6.
- Optional: from here you can download the Graphy patch.
- Save these files on desktop first and then transfer them on your smartphone – first, connect your device with your computer via USB cable.
- After you complete the copy-paste process you can unplug the USB cord because the computer will no longer be required.
- Switch off your smartphone – press the Power button once and select ‘power off’ or press and hold the Power key for a few moments.
- Reboot recovery mode on the LG G6 when done.
- From recovery tap on Install and pick the LG V30 camera app.
- Swipe in order to begin the flashing process.
- Repeat these steps if you want to install the Graphy module too.
- When done, from main menu of recovery select “Reboot system now”.
That’s it; now you can use the LG V30 camera app, along with all its features, right on your LG G6. Make sure you share all your results and observations with us and with other users who are thinking in using this new ported app – you can get in touch with our team easily by using the comments field from down below. Enjoy.