This is the guide that you should use in order to learn how to successfully update the Google Nexus 7 2012 Wi-Fi model to Android 4.4.4 KitKat official.
The new update brings mostly security fixes and repairs various bugs. Use this post only if your tablet didn’t get the official Android 4.4.4 KitKat OTA Update official notification and you are already on an official Android 4.4.3 KTU84L build. Before starting the updating process you should try to read the guidelines below:
- use this post only with the Wi-Fi model of Google Nexus 7 2012 Edition.
- do not try to update any other Android devices with the files that you can find in the tutorial.
- your Nexus 7 2012 Wi-FI model has to be running on the Android 4.4.3 KitKat KTU84L firmware build.
- this guide doesn’t work with older Android 4.4.x firmware builds.
- check the firmware version of your tablet by going to Settings> About Device> Build Number.
- if the firmware version is not set to KTU84L then you can close this guide as it won’t work.
- this guide works with locked and unlocked bootloaders as well as with rooted and non-rooted Nexus 7 2012 Wi-Fi tablets.
- this article contains two different tutorials: one for stock Recovery and the other one for custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP.
- in case your Nexus 7 2012 Wi-Fi tablet runs on custom ROM then you cannot install the update as you will brick the tablet.
- if you run a custom ROM on your device, then you will be forced to restore the tablet to stock Android via Factory Image installation, but that will remove all data from the device.
- make sure to install and setup Android SDK ADT bundle on your computer.
- extract the contents of the Android SDK and place the directory on your computer’s C: partition.
- after the files are extracted you should fin SDK Manager and launch it: install all drivers and extra tools.
- find the ‘platform-tools’ folder in the SDK directory and remember where it is located as you will need it when you will get to the update tutorial.
- enable USB Debugging option from your tablet’s Developer Options menu.
- this is a tutorial that has to be used by a more advanced Android user.
- do not attempt to update your Nexus 7 Wi-Fi 2012 Edition if you’re a beginner.
- check your tablet’s power level before starting the update, make sure that it is over 50%.
- it will prevent it from switching off in the middle of the updating process.
- don’t blame us in case you brick the tablet nor in case you lose any data in the process.
- continue to the next part of this post only when you are sure that you can complete the process successfully.
- read this entire post, don’t skip any steps and use the comments field in case you require extra help.
Since you’ve read all of the above now you can continue to the next part of this post.
Flash Android 4.4.4 KTU84P Update from Android 4.4.3 KTU84L with ADB Sideload and Stock Recovery:
- Download the update zip file from here.
- save the file on your PC.
- change the filename to update.zip for an easier installation.
- After the download is complete you should move the update.zip to the ‘platform-tools’ folder under SDK directory.
- this info is listed in the guidelines part of this post.
- Switch off the tablet now.
- Next, boot it in Recovery Mode.
- From the Stock Recovery Mode menu you need to select ‘apply update from adb’.
- Take the USB cable and use it to connect your tablet with your computer.
- Now go to the folder where you’ve placed the new ‘update.zip’ file.
- Launch a command prompt in this folder.
- it can be done by pressing and holding Shift key and at the same time you should right-click on the folder’s white space and select ‘open command window here’ option from the context menu.
- Enter the following command line in the command prompt screen: adb sideload update.zip
- Immediately after you hit the Enter key your tablet will begin the installation process.
- do not press any button until all files are installed with success.
- After the Android 4.4.4 KTU84P firmware is installed you should see the Recovery Mode options menu and you can use it to reboot the device in normal mode.
I hope that you did manage to complete the updating process and that you are currently testing all the new features.
Note that the first boot with the new ROM will take a while to complete the optimization process for all apps, so you should have patience until it loads all the files.
Install Android 4.4.4 KTU84P for Nexus 7 2012 Wi-Fi using CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode:
This is a guide that will work for Nexus 7 2012 Wi-Fi tablets that are featuring a custom Recovery image such as TWRP or CWM.
Note that this tutorial can be used only if your device is running a full stock Android firmware and that you didn’t use the custom Recovery to flash any customization on your tablet.
- Download the Android 4.4.4 KTU84P firmware zip from here.
- Connect your Nexus 7 Wi-Fi 2012 device to your PC via USB data cable.
- Copy the update zip file to your tablet’s internal storage.
- Disconnect the tablet from PC when all files are copied successfully.
- Power off the device.
- Boot it in Recovery Mode.
- Select the ‘install zip from sdcard’ option for CWM Recovery or tap on ‘Install’ for TWRP Recovery.
- Find the update zip file and confirm the updating process.
- Don’t press any buttons until the update is complete.
- Reboot the Nexus 7 after all files are flashed with success.
If you need any extra help then you can use the comments field below.