Samsung Galaxy S5 in Europe is currently getting a new Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware OTA update that brings performance updates and a much more stable UI.
Learn more about this release in our news article here. It doesn’t change the Android 4.4.2 OS version, but it still adds several enhancements that should offer you an even better KitKat experience. There is no official word on any future Android 4.4.4 KK OTA Update release, but we should expect it to arrive in the next few months.
If you want to successfully install this new Android 4.4.2 XXU1ANG2 firmware update now and avoid waiting until Samsung pushes the OTA files in your region, then you should read the whole guide. First you will have to read the preparation info below:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S5 model number SM – G900F.
– check the firmware version of your smartphone under Settings> About Phone.
– if the SM-G900F model number isn’t listed, then you shouldn’t use this tutorial.
– don’t attempt to update any other Android devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- download and install Samsung USB Drivers for your PC from here.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
– if you can’t find Developer Options then you will have to enable this first.
– here is a guide that teaches you how to enable Galaxy S5 Developer Options and USB Debugging.
- disable the Samsung KIES and all antivirus apps from running on your computer.
– these apps might interfere with the installation process.
– we will use Odin to flash the new ROM on your device, KIES and other software programs might try to block it from connecting with your phone.
- in case your Samsung Galaxy S5 is rooted, then this root access will be revoked in the process.
– also, any custom Recovery that you might have installed on your phone will be replaced with the Stock Android Recovery.
- if you’re running a custom ROM on your phone, then you need to know that the installation is possible but, you will lose all the data stored on the system partition.
– internal and external storage space will not be affected in the process.
– after you overwrite a custom ROM with the Android 4.4.2 XXU1ANG2 firmware you will also need to apply a ‘factory reset’.
– make sure to read the ‘notes’ listed at the end of this post in case you’re running a custom ROM on your Galaxy S5.
- if you want to save data from installed apps, SMS text messages or any other type of file, then you should use Helium for Android.
- Contacts and People details can be synced with your default Gmail account.
- check the Galaxy S5 battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent the device from switching off during installation.
- use the tutorial only if you know what you’re doing, do not blame us if you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
- read the whole, don’t skip any steps and you should be fine.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to manually flash Android 4.4.2 XXU1ANG2 Update for Galaxy S5 G900F:
- Download the G900FXXU1ANG2 Android 4.4.2 zip file from here.
– in order to download the file you should create an account at SamMobile, otherwise you cannot use their servers.
- Extract the archived contents from the G900FXXU1ANG2 zip file on your PC.
– you should get a “tar.md5” file extension.
- Download Odin3 v3.09 from here.
– extract the contents of the zip on your computer.
- Power off the Samsung Galaxy S5 now.
- Next, boot it in Android Download Mode.
- Launch the Odin3 v3.09 exe on your computer.
- Connect the phone to your PC via USB Cable.
– wait for Odin to ‘add’ your Galaxy S5 and then continue to the next step.
– if the Galaxy S5 is not detected, then you will have to re-install the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Get back to Odin’s main screen and click on the ‘AP’ button.
- Now, browse your PC for the G900FXXU1ANG2 tar.md5 file. Load it in Odin.
– make sure that ‘re-partition’ option is disabled.
– don’t edit other settings.
- Next, press the START button when you’re ready to begin the manual Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F update to Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXU1ANG2 firmware.
– don’t press any buttons until all files are flashed successfully.
- After the update is complete you will see the phone rebooting. Disconnect the device from PC when Odin says ‘PASS’.
– note that the first boot process will take several minutes before it loads all files.
- Use your Google / Samsung account info in order to take control over your device once again.
These were the steps that you had to follow in order to complete the updating process of your Galaxy S5 G900F to official Android 4.4.2 XXU1ANG2 firmware.
In case you cannot complete the guide you should read the ‘notes’ below or ask for extra help in comments.
If the Odin app freezes, the phone freezes or any other type of thing happens and the update fails, then you should re-read the guidelines and make sure that your Galaxy S5 meets all requirements. Try and repeat the tutorial without skipping any steps or apply a ‘factory reset’ and then re-install the new firmware files.
If Odin says that the update was ‘passed’, but the phone gets stuck at the Samsung Galaxy S5 boot animation screen, or it enters into a boot loop or it boots in home screen but it displays way too many errors, then you should apply a factory reset.
The ‘factory reset’ is also needed in case you’ve decided to overwrite a custom ROM with the new XXU1ANG2 Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware. Here’s how to apply the Factory Reset for your Galaxy S5:
- power off the phone completely.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- reboot the Galaxy S5 in normal mode.
For more help use the comments section below or ask for it from one of your most Android-savvy friends.