Use this guide if you want to learn how to manually flash the brand new Android 4.4.2 KitKat build on your Sprint Galaxy S5 smartphone.
With this new update you will get tons of tweaks and improvements that will make your life with Android easier. In order to learn more about this release you should take a look at our news article here.
This post should be used by those Sprint Galaxy S5 users who didn’t get the updating OTA files and are looking for an alternative update method.
If you want to complete the manual update process successfully without bricking your device, then you should first take a look at the preparation info below:
- use this post only with the Sprint CDMA Samsung Galaxy S5 model number SM – G900P
– check your phone’s model number under Settings> About Device.
– if the phone’s version isn’t SM – G900P, then you will have to close this guide as it work for any other Android device.
- install the Samsung USB Drivers for your computer from here.
- enable USB Debugging for your device from the Developer Options menu.
– the Developer Options might also be hidden which is why you will be forced to enable that one first.
– here‘s a guide that teach you to have enable both Developer Options and USB Debugging.
- make sure to disable Samsung KIES from running on your PC when you will begin the installation of Android 4.4.2 update on your phone.
- disable antivirus apps from running, too.
- KIES and antivirus apps will block ODIN, the app you will use to flash the new update file on your Galaxy S5 Spring phone.
- if your Sprint Galaxy S5 is rooted, then you need to know that this update will revoke root access.
- if your phone has a custom Recovery installed then it will be replaced with a stock Recovery image.
- in case you have a custom ROM installed on your Galaxy S5 Sprint phone you will see all the data getting removed from its system partition and, after the installation is complete you have to apply an extra ‘factory reset’ process.
– more about the ‘factory reset’ can be found at the end of this post.
- you can choose to backup some data from installed applications using Helium tool for Android.
- sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- check your smartphone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent it from switching off in the middle of the updating process.
- use this guide only if you know what you’re doing and you’re an advanced user.
- don’t blame us if you brick the device nor in case you end up losing any data in the process.
- read the whole guide first and after that you should start the updating process.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully update your device with a brand new KitKat build.
How to flash Android 4.4.2 VPU1ANE5 Update for Sprint Galaxy S5 G900P:
- Download the G900PVPU1ANE5 firmware update zip from here.
– make sure to create an account with SamMobile before downloading the file.
- Extract the contents of the zip and you will get a new file with G900PVPU1ANE5 in its name and it should have the tar.md5 extension.
– don’t extract any further than that.
- Download Odin3 v3.09 from here.
– extract its contents and save the files on your computer.
- Switch off your Galaxy S5 right now.
- Next, boot the phone in Android Download Mode.
- Launch Odin3 v3.09 executable on your computer.
- Use the USB Data Cable and connect your phone with your PC.
– wait for the Odin app to detect your Galaxy S5.
– if the phone isn’t detected, then you will need to try and re-install the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Return to Odin’s main window after the phone is detected.
- Click on Odin’s ‘AP’ button tab.
- Find and load the G900PVPU1ANE5 tar.md5 file.
– make sure that ‘Re-Partition’ isn’t enabled.
– don’t change any other default Odin Settings.
- When ready press the START button in order to launch the installation process for your device.
– don’t press any buttons until all files are flashed with success.
– note that the installation will take a while.
- When the Android 4.4.2 G900PVPU1ANE5 firmware is flashed successfully you will see the ODIN app displaying the ‘PASS’ alert and the Sprint Galaxy S5 will reboot in normal mode.
- Wait several minutes for the new ROM to load all of its new files and use your Google / Samsung account in order to take control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation process of a new Android 4.4.2 KitKat official OTA update manually for your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S5 phone.
If the installation was completed with success and you didn’t encounter any problems, then you should close this guide. If there were problems and you didn’t manage to complete the update, then it would be best for you to take a look at the extra notes below.
NOTE 1: if Odin doesn’t complete the update, it freezes or it displays the ‘FAIL’ red alert messages, then you will have to try and repeat the guide more than once. Make sure that you won’t skip any steps and that you will carefully the entire tutorial before starting the installation again.
Also, use the comments field to ask for extra help.
NOTE 2: if Odin shows the ‘PASS’ alert, but the phone is unable to boot in normal mode after 20 minutes have passed since it has started the reboot process, then you will have to try and apply a factory reset. This process has to be applied if your phone enters into a boot loop or if it boots in normal mode, but it displays too many ‘force closing’ errors.
Also, a factory reset should be used by Galaxy S5 Sprint users who were running a custom ROM on their devices previously.
Here’s how to apply Factory Reset for the Galaxy S5 Sprint:
- switch off the phone completely and then boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ from the Recovery options.
- confirm process.
- reboot the device in normal mode after factory reset is complete.
- use your Google / Samsung account and take control over your Sprint Galaxy S5 once again.