As you know, Samsung officially released the OTA KitKat update for the international model of the Galaxy S4 Active. The firmware is currently rolled out in Netherland and soon other markets will provide the same update for the S4 Active users. But, if you are tired of waiting, or if you can’t flash the OTA release, then a manual update procedure will be more than helpful for you. Due to same reasons during the following step by step guides we will be checking how to install official Android 4.4.2 XXUCNE5 KitKat firmware on Samsung Galaxy S4 Active model number i9295.
From the start you should know that this is an official operation and by following the same you will learn how to manually install official Android 4.4.2 OTA XXUCNE5 KitKat OS on International Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. So, you will not use a custom ROM based on stock Android OS, but the OTA roll out, which will be installed on your smartphone trough Odin and not automatically from your phone (if you want to automatically flash the OTA update, just enable a WiFi connection and on your device go to menu – settings – about phone – software update).
Since we are talking about the OTA launch, the XXUCNE5 KitKat OS will be offered in phases or gradually for the S4 Active i9295. But, you can skip the wait by choosing the install the update manually via Odin – in that matter of course, use the guidelines from below. Also, if you have rooted your phone or if you have installed a custom ROM software on that same, the OTA release will not be spotted by your SGS4 Active. So, due to same reasons a manual flashing operation is a must. Again, this is an official procedure, so you have nothing to worry about.
Now, in case you have rooted your phone, after completing the steps from this tutorial, the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked, thus the factory and default restrictions re-installed. Don’t worry though as a root procedure suitable with the new XXUCNE5 OS will be soon developed and you will then be able to root your Active once more. Furthermore, this step by step guide is compatible with both rooted and locked international models of the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active and by manually flashing the Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS you will not lose the warranty of your handset.
As I have previously mentioned, Odin will be used on this operation. Odin is an official program developed and offered by Samsung and used especially on update operations. Of course, Odin is compatible only with Samsung branded smartphones and tablets. As you will see, using Odin is easy and flashing the stock Android firmware by using the same is safe. Anyway, do follow all the steps from this tutorial as if you manage to mess things up, you can also end up in bricking your Galaxy S4 Active.
It’s important to backup your data before going any further. Even though you will manually apply the official ROM and you will do that by using Odin – it is unlikely to lose your data – in rare cases your personal info, data and accounts might get corrupted or even wiped out. So, because of that I strongly recommend you to backup everything that’s important for you – basically the data which is saved on the internal storage memory of your device. In that matter you can anytime use backup and restore apps from Google Play for saving your contacts, text messages, call logs, EFS folder, market apps, or Internet Settings.
After saving your data you need to make sure that a computer based on Windows can be used. On the computer you will be using, all the security programs must be temporarily deactivate as the same tools might interfere with the update operation. Then you should also make sure that you can use your Galaxy S4 Active and its USB cable. Moreover, on your phone go to “menu – settings – developer options” and check the USB debugging option. Finally, before going any further charge your handset – if it gets turned off in the middle of the flashing operation, your S4 Active might also get bricked, or damaged. Don’t forget that this guide is compatible only with the i9295 model of the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (the international model) so don’t apply the steps from below in case you own a similar or different Android device.
How to Manually Update International Galaxy S4 Active with Android 4.4.2 XXUCNE5 KitKat Firmware
- Go to this page and download the firmware file.
- Download Odin and Samsung KIES on your computer.
- Install Samsung KIES and flash Galaxy S4 Active drivers on your PC.
- Unzip the update package on desktop.
- Unzip Odin and install the program by following the on screen prompts.
- Turn off your S4 Active and enter your device in download mode: press power, volume down and home keys at the same time.
- Run Odin on your computer.
- Connect your smartphone with your PC by plugging in the USB cord; once the connection established, on Odin the ID:COM section should turn yellow or blue and the “added” message must be displayed.
- If not, you should close the program, unplug the USB cord and reinstall the S4 Active drivers on your computer; then retry the steps from above.
- Then, from Odin select the “PA” option and pick the firmware file from desktop.
- Don’t make any other changes on the program and click on “start” – then wait while the installation process is being completed.
- In the end, on Odin you will see the “pass” message displayed and the ID:COM section turned green.
- You can unplug the USB cord and reboot your phone as you are done.
After flashing the ROM or during the installation process you might experience various issues. For example if after completing the above explained steps your S4 Active gets stuck in a boot loop, or if there are bugs, your phone runs with lags, you get screen freeze or force close errors, don’t hesitate and apply:
- Turn off your phone.
- Enter recovery mode on your Android device.
- From recovery select “wipe data factory reset”.
- Also, from main menu of recovery choose “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, go back and choose “advanced” and then pick “wipe dalvick cache”.
- In the end select “reboot system now” and that’s it.
On the other hand, if during the update process, Odin gets stuck, you need to follow:
- Close the program and unplug the USB cord.
- Force restart your smartphone.
- Reinstall the S4 Active drivers on your computer.
- Run Odin and enter download mode on your phone.
- Retry the steps from the proper tutorial.
So, there you have it; that’s how you can easily update your International Samsung Galaxy S4 Active to official Android 4.4.2 XXUCNE5 KitKat Firmware. Do share your impressions and experience with us by using the comments field from below; if you need help, we will try to assist you as soon as possible and we will update this guide accordingly.