The Sprint HTC One can now be overclocked as thanks to those of xda-developers a custom kernel has been provided and by using the same you can enable the overclock capability on your Android based device. So if you want to test your One at its full performances without dealing with the factory and default restrictions, or if you just want to bump the speeds, then don’t hesitate and learn how to overclock your phone’s CPU. The present guide can be easily completed and it will teach you how to improve the performances of your Sprint HTC One in a minute.
When owning an Android based smartphone, or tablet, you should know that everything should be about customization and optimization procedures. Since you have a smart device it is really easy to “play” with the internal system and with the in-built programs, features and so on. Actually interacting with your phone is quite similar with interacting with your PC or notebook. Usually, when looking forward in improving the speeds, upgrading the battery life, customizing the OS and the looks and powering up the performances, you should complete the following (or only some of the tasks from below) operations:
- Gain root access
- Install a custom recovery image
- Flash a custom ROM
- Overclock the CPU
Now, during the present step by step guide we will be checking on how to perform the last one: overclocking the Sprint HTC One. By overclocking the CPU you will increase the maximum frequency on which your handset’s processor is operating. Therefore, after completing this method your One will gain more speed and will provide more power. In this way you can use your device on its full performances, so if you want to see what it is capable of, overclock your Android smartphone.
But before doing so, read this guide and learn everything about this operation and how to properly apply the same on your phone. Then return here and follow the rest of the steps for checking the guidelines that are suitable with the Sprint variant of the HTC One. For overclocking the classic HTC One use our dedicated guide – click on the mentioned link.
If you have decided to complete this operation take notice:
- You need to root your One first.
- You need to install a custom recovery image on your phone.
- So, the warranty will get void, since all these are unofficial procedures – you can restore the warranty by downgrading to stock ROM or by updating with an official release of the Android software.
As mentioned for being able to overclock the Sprint HTC One you need to flash a custom kernel first. In this way you can enable overclock on your Android smartphone. But in case your handset is running on a custom ROM, check the features of its kernel as overclocking might be already available. In that case you can skip the “install a custom kernel” section of this step by step guide.
Since you are about to apply an unofficial operation, before heading to the installation procedures, consider in backing up the One data. Else you might end up in losing all of your personal stuffs, including text messages, call logs, market apps, contacts list, personal info and accounts and so on. That’s why you should use backup and restore tools for saving anything you might need afterwards.
The rest of the pre requisites are mentioning:
- A computer, which will be required along with your smartphone and with its USB cable.
- On the computer you shouldn’t have security tools installed; if different temporarily deactivate the security programs.
- On your One the USB debugging must be enabled; go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- And you should start the flashing operation only if your phone has more than 60% power left; if different you should charge your device first.
Now, as I have mentioned several times now, this step by step guide is compatible only with the Sprint variant of the HTC One, so overclock the CPU by using the steps from below only if you own the same handset; else you might end up in bricking your Android based device.
How to install a custom kernel on Sprint HTC One
- From this page download the kernel file – remember that those of xda-developers are providing the kernel, so we have to thanks them for this tutorial.
- Save the kernel on your computer.
- Don’t unzip the file just place it on desktop.
- Connect your One with your computer – use the USB cable.
- Copy-paste or drag and drop the kernel file from the computer to your phone.
- Disconnect the devices – remove the USB cord.
- Turn off your handset as you need to revboot into recovery mode.
- After entering recovery mode, select to wipe the system – “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Then, from the recovery menu select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Take / pick the kernel file and flash the same on your Sprint HTC One.
- In the end, return to recovery, select “reboot system now” and proceed to the next section of this step by step guide.
How to Overclock Sprint HTC One
- Go on Google Play store – on your phone recommended.
- Download one of the following apps: SetCPU, or IncrediControl.
- Install the tool on your phone.
- Run the app.
- Drag the slider and choose how you want to increase the frequency.
- Don’t choose “save on boot” option.
- When done, close the app.
Good job, now your Sprint HTC One is running on maximum speed and power. You have successfully bumped the speeds by overclocking your Android based smartphone. Also, for changing, optimizing and customizing the internal system and the Jelly Bean firmware use a custom ROM firmware. You can use our suitable guides for learning how to update your device with a custom software.