Galaxy S4 is Samsung’s latest flagship and one of the most popular and powerful Android based smartphones available on the market. But when talking about power and speed, especially when we refer to a smartphone, we can surely affirm that there is never enough, meaning that there will be anytime room for improvements. If you think that too, then resume this step by step guide and learn how to easily overclock your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4. As you will see, by completing this operation you will be able to increase the power that your phone provides and also you will be able to gain more speed and an improved Android Jelly Bean experience.
So, overclock your T-Mobile Galaxy S4 if you want to take your smartphone to a higher level of performance. As you know, there are other ways that can be used when trying to upgrade your handset, like gaining root access or updating with a custom ROM firmware. But when the classic methods are just not enough, or if you want to spice things up, then you have to overclock the CPU. That’s exactly what we will be doing on your Galaxy S4, so don’t hesitate and use this tutorial.
Overclocking your Android device is quite similar with overclocking your computer or notebook. In a few words, here is what you will do: you will change the maximum CPU frequency, which means that your Galaxy S4 will provide and operate on more power. Don’t worry, as it is unlikely to burn your handset, especially if you know everything about overclocking Android devices (use the link if you want to learn everything about this process – do so before applying the present tutorial). Also, if you properly set the frequency, (increase it with only 10-20%) then you will not have battery drain issues. Therefore, don’t hesitate and overclock your T-Mobile Galaxy S4.
Unfortunately, by overclocking the warranty of your SGS4 will get voided. This is happening because you first have to root your phone as you need to flash a custom kernel for enabling overclocking. So, as you will see below, before increasing the power of your S4, you will first learn how to install a new kernel into its system. Anyway, remember that you must root your smartphone before going any further. A final tip related to the warranty: you can restore the same by downgrading / updating the stock / official Android firmware.
Then, install CWM or TWRP recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S4. Do this after rooting your phone as a custom recovery image can be applied only on unchained systems. Don’t skip this part because you will not be able to install the custom kernel without using the custom recovery tool – the stock recovery that comes pre-installed on any Android handsets can’t be used when dealing with unofficial operation like the present one.
Those were the essential pre requisites; now let’s see which the general preparation things are – complete the same as you can’t perform this guide without properly preparing your SGS4 for the overclocking process.
- Backup the contacts, messages, call logs, market apps and calendar info from your phone.
- Backup EFS and internet settings, along with your personal info and accounts.
- Make a Nandroid backup for storing the stock ROM.
- Make sure you can use a computer on where you will save the kernel file.
- In order to avoid the unpleasant situations, make sure that on both computer and handset there aren’t security tools installed – if different temporarily deactivate them.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your Galaxy S4.
- It is recommended to charge the phone’s battery before going any further; you can skip this step if your phone has more than 60% power left.
- This step by step guide has been developed to work only for the T-Mobile version of the Samsung Galaxy S4, so don’t try to overclock a different or similar device by using the steps from below.
How to flash a custom kernel on T-Mobile Galaxy S4
- From this page download the custom kernel (we should thanks those of xda-developers for the same).
- Place the downloaded file on your computer, preferable on desktop.
- Take your phone and connect it with the PC via USB cable.
- Select the downloaded file and copy-paste the same from the computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Then, disconnect the devices by unplugging the USB cable.
- Turn off your handset.
- Reboot it by pressing the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons at the same time.
- The recovery mode menu will be displayed.
- By using the same select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the kernel file and install the same on your device.
- Finally, in the end select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Now overclocking is enabled on your T-Mobile SGS4 which means that you can safely precede to the next, and final, section of this step by step guide – we are almost done.
How to Overclock T-Mobile Galaxy S4
- Go to Google Play.
- Download any of these apps: SetCPU, or AnTuTu CPU Master.
- Install the app on your SGS4.
- Run the tool.
- By using the menu that opens set the new frequency (remember to increase it only with 10-20% or else you might have battery drain issues).
- Close the tool and reboot your device.
- Test the new results as you are done.
There you have it, the best way to use when looking forward in bumping the power of your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4. Anyhow, since you have successfully overclocked your Galaxy S4, use the comments area from below and share your experience with us and with other users who might need a proper advice. Also, stay close as we will bring further Android tips, tricks and tutorials.