Android 4.2.2 JB has been released for the Galaxy S2 Plus and now you can learn how to successfully root it. This is a great guide that teaches you exactly how to root the XXUBMH4 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 stock ROM and you should only use it in case you know what you’re doing.
This tutorial will also install the CWM Recovery image first and only after that you will be able to apply the root. Without CWM recovery you cannot complete root, which is why you will have to follow two different sets of instructions. In case you have problems with any guides, then you can ask for more help in comments. Do not skip any instructions that are listed in this article and make sure to read all the info posted so that you won’t end up bricking the Galaxy S2 Plus.
Rooting this new firmware update is easy and you will first have to take a look at the preparation guide below. The guidelines will tell you what you have to do in order to correctly configure your smartphone for the rooting process. Here’s what you need to know:
- Use the info listed in this article only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus model number I9105. Do not attempt to apply root for any other smartphone.
- The Android 4.2.2 XXUBMH4 Jelly Bean should be the default firmware that is installed now on your smartphone.
- Download and install the Samsung USB Drivers on your computer. Without these you cannot move files between your Galaxy S2 Plus and your PC.
- Enable the USB Debugging from the Developer Options menu. If this menu isn’t shown then you should enable it by opening Settings, then tap About phone. On the next screen, scroll down to Build Number section and tap seven times to un-hide Developer Options.
- Disable any antivirus application from running on your computer.
- Disable the Samsung KIES software.
- Make sure that your device’s battery has enough power left before it switches off completely.
- The Galaxy S2 Plus has to be factory unlocked.
- Rooting the phone will revoke its warranty. The warranty can be restored only if you flash a new stock Android firmware.
- The tutorial might wipe the data from your device, which is why you should create backups of all your most important files.
- If you can to backup Contacts info, then you can learn how to sync it with your default Gmail account here.
- Use the guide only if you know what you’re doing, as we cannot be blamed in case you brick the device or you lose any important data files.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post. First thing that you need to do is to install the custom CWM Recovery image, as this tool will be used to apply root for your smartphone.
How to flash CWM Recovery for the Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus I9105:
- Download the Jerry’s CWM Recovery tar.md5 image file from here or here.
- Download Odin3 v3.07 from here.
– after the download is complete you will need to unzip the archived contents.
- Power off your smartphone now completely.
- Boot your smartphone in Download Mode.
– press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons simultaneously.
– when the warning message is shown you will need to press Volume Up to confirm that you wish to boot the SGS2 Plus in Download Mode.
- Launch the Odin exe on your PC.
- Connect the phone with your computer using the USB Data Cable.
– Odin will confirm that it has detected the device by displaying the ‘added’ message.
– if Odin doesn’t recognize your device then you will be forced to re-install the Samsung USB Drivers. Alternatively, you can choose to switch between USB ports and see if that works.
- Click the PDA button in ODIN.
– browse your computer for the Jerry_recovery.tar.md5 file.
- Load Jerry’s CWM Recovery md5 file into ODIN.
– don’t change any default settings and make sure that the ‘Re-Partition’ and ‘F-reset Time’ options are not enabled. Uncheck Auto-Reboot option.
- Press the START button whenever you’re ready for the CWM Recovery installation process.
- Do not press any buttons while the installation is in progress.
- When done, you will see that the device was rebooted and ODIN shows the PASS alert. You can unplug the phone from your PC and wait for it to boot into normal mode.
Now that you’ve flashed the CWM Recovery for your Galaxy S2 Plus device, then you can continue to the next part of this article and learn how to apply root.
How to root Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus I9105 with SuperSU and CWM Recovery Mode:
- Download the SuperSU zip file from here.
– do not unzip the file.
- Connect your device with your PC via USB cable.
- Now move the Update SuperSU zip file to your device’s internal SDcard. After the file is copied with success you should disconnect it from your PC.
- Power off the Galaxy S2 Plus completely.
- Next, boot the device into CWM Recovery Mode: press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time.
- When the main CWM Recovery screen appears, select the ‘install zip from sdcard’ option.
- Then, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the SuperSU zip file. Load it into CWM.
- Confirm the installation and then wait until the process is complete.
- After all root files have been flashed with success you should return to the main Recovery Screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until the device boots into normal mode.
Check to see if the root has been applied successfully using the Root Checker app from Google Play Store here. Download and install this app on your Galaxy S2 Plus, then launch it and press the ‘Verify root’ button. These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to successfully apply root for your Galaxy S2 Plus smartphone.
If you have any problems with the installation, then you can always ask for more help in comments, but make sure to leave a detailed comment so that we will be able to come up with a working solution. Remember that by rooting your device you have revoked its warranty and that it can be restored only if you flash a new stock Android 4.2 / 4.3 Update file.