Canadian Galaxy S4 I337M can now be updated to Android 4.4.2 KitKat using a leaked firmware build. Updating the phone will install a stock KitKat and if you want to root it, then you can use the instructions listed in this post.
This guide will work with the VLUFNC1 Android 4.4.2 KitKat stock ROM and with all the previously released stock ROMs. The Galaxy S4 I337 root process is possible only because Chainfire continues to support all Samsung devices.
Before starting the rooting process of the Android 4.4.2 KitKat for the Canada Galaxy S4 you will need to take a look at the guidelines below:
- use this tutorial only with the I337M Canadian model of Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone.
– don’t attempt to root any other devices with the files that you will find in this article, as you will end up bricking its firmware.
- this guide is for advanced users and you shouldn’t attempt to use the guide in case you’re a novice.
– if you try to root your phone and you don’t know how to use ODIN and push such files, then you will risk bricking your phone.
- make sure to download and install Samsung USB Drivers for your Windows PC from here.
- stop all the antivirus applications and the Samsung KIES program from running on your PC.
– these apps will block the Odin app and won’t allow you to root the Canadian Galaxy S4 device.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
– if Developer Options doesn’t show up in your phone’s Settings menu, then you will need to enable it: go to About Device, then tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
– the Developer Options should show up in Settings and then you can enable USB Debugging option.
- check the phone’s battery charge and make sure that there is at least 50% left before the phone switches off.
- read the entire post and don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed in them tutorial.
- if you cannot complete the rooting process then you should ask for extra help in comments.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully root your phone.
Root Canadian Galaxy S4 on Android 4.4.2 VLUFNC1 stock ROM:
- Download the CF Auto Root zip file from here.
- Extract the contents of the zip to your computer’s desktop.
– you should get the CF-Auto-Root-jfltecan-jfltevl-sghi337m.tar.md5 file, don’t extract any further than that.
- Download Odin3 v3.09 from here.
– extract the archived contents and save them in a single folder on your computer’s desktop.
– if Odin 3.09 doesn’t work, then you can try these other versions: Odin 1.85 or Odin 3.07.
- Power off the smartphone now.
- Next, boot the phone in Android Download Mode.
– if you can’t boot Download Mode, then you can read this post.
- Launch Odin 3.09 executable on your computer.
- Use the USB Data Cable and connect the Galaxy S4 to your computer.
– wait until Odin notifies you that the phone was successfully added.
– if the device isn’t recognized, then you will be forced to re-install the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Next, go to Odin window and click the AP button. Load the CF-Auto-Root-jfltecan-jfltevl-sghi337m.tar.md5 file in Odin.
– don’t change any other options, just make sure that Re-Partition is disabled.
- Press the START button when you’re ready for the rooting process to start.
– note that this process might take a while to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until Odin tells you that the root was passed successfully.
- When the Root is complete Odin will say PASS and then Galaxy S4 I337M will reboot in normal mode.
– the phone can be disconnected from your computer when the boot animation logo appears.
- After the boot is complete you should open the Google Play Store and install Root Checker Basic.
– launch the app and then hit the Verify button.
- Root Checker Basic app will confirm that the root is complete and now you’re free to start customizing your device.
NOTE: if ODIN doesn’t complete root or you’re shown any errors, then you should disconnect the phone from PC and then repeat the entire tutorial. Make sure that in case you repeat the guide, then you won’t skip any steps listed above.
I think that these were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully complete the rooting process of your Galaxy S4 I337M device. If you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
Now that you’ve rooted your device you can start flashing custom Recoveries and new custom ROMs to improve the overall KitKat experience for your Galaxy S4 device. Remember that you can always return to stock Android 4.4.2 KitKat using a stock firmware, but note that you will lose all data stored on your device’s system partitionin the process.