Root Canadian Samsung Galaxy S4 I337M on Android 4.2.2 JB with CF Auto-Root
The Canadian model of the Galaxy S4 can be rooted right away using the CF Auto-Root tool by Chainfire. Use this post to learn how to successfully root your smartphone but, note that this is a guide for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t attempt to use it in case you’ve never rooted any Android devices.
Rooting your smartphone shouldn’t be hard to accomplish, but you still need to know the basics about how to launch Odin and use the phone’s Download Mode in order to flash a rooting firmware. Below you can find several guidelines that should help you complete this tutorial and root the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean stock firmware with Chainfire’s CF-Auto-Root tool:
- use this tutorial only with the Canada model of the Samsung Galaxy S4. Your device should have the I337M model number. Don’t try to root any other Android device using the files you find in this post.
- make sure that your computer has the Samsung USB Drivers installed on it. If yours doesn’t, then you can easily download them from here.
- this guide won’t ask you to factory reset the smartphone but, you might still be forced to do it, in case the Galaxy S4 I337M is incapable of booting after root. You’ll find more info at the end of this post.
- disable any Samsung KIES and antivirus applications from running on your PC. Such apps are usually preventing ODIN, the app used to flash rooting files.
- enable USB debugging option from your phone’s Developer Options menu.
- note that if you root your phone, you will lose the warranty and the binary flash counter will be increased because of this.
- make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left before discharging completely. If the phone powers off in the middle of the rooting process, you will have to start all over again.
- note that we cannot be held responsible in case you brick your phone or you lose any data in the process. This post should be applied by advanced users.
These were all the things you had to know before continuing to the next part of this post.
Note that this guide will only root your device, but it won’t install any custom Recovery images.
How to root Samsung Galaxy S4 I337M Canada model using CF-Auto-Root tool:
- Download the CF Auto Root zip file from here.
- Extract the contents of this zip on your computer. You will get a file named ‘CF-Auto-Root-jfltecan-jfltevl-sghi337m.tar.md5′, don’t extract any further than that.
- Download Odin 3.07 from here. Extract its contents and save them to a single folder.
- Power off your phone completely.
- Boot the SGS4 into Download Mode.
- Launch ODIN exe on your PC.
- Connect the smartphone to computer and wait for ODIN to say ‘Added!!’.
> if ODIN doesn’t confirm that it has connected with your device, you will need to change the USB port or re-install the Samsung USB drivers. A download link for the phone’s drivers is listed in the preparation guide above.
- Now, click the PDA button in ODIN.
- Find the ‘CF-Auto-Root-jfltecan-jfltevl-sghi337m.tar.md5′ file and load it into ODIN.
> make sure that the Re-Partition option is not enabled. Don’t change any default ODIN settings.
- Next, press the START button when you’re ready for the root to start.
- The process should complete in under 10 minutes and the phone will reboot when all files have been flashed.
- Unplug the phone from PC and then wait for it to boot into normal mode.
- Open the App drawer and check for the SuperSU app icon. That means that the root has been achieved.
NOTE: If ODIN shows the FAIL alert or it freezes, you will need to disconnect the phone from PC. Remove the battery and re-insert it after 5 seconds have passed. Now you will have to repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 5. Make sure that you meet all the requirements and the root should be successful now.
If the Galaxy S4 Canada model has been rooted you can start installing root-based apps and customize it.
NOTE2: If ODIN says ‘PASS’ but the phone gets stuck at the Samsung boot animation or it enters into a boot loop, then you will have to unplug the phone from PC. Remove the battery, re-insert it and then use the Stock Recovery mode to factory reset the device. This process will delete the contents from your phone’s system partition and force it to boot into normal mode. Here’s how to do that:
- power off the phone.
- press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons simultaneously.
- release the buttons when the Recovery mode menu loads.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm.
- return to the main Recovery menu and select ‘reboot system now’.
- the SGS4 will now boot into normal mode successfully.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the root. Remember that this tutorial did not install any custom Recovery. But, you can use ROM Manager or GooManager from Google Play Store and flash one for yourself. If you don’t know how to do that, then you can check our guide here and learn how to flash CWM or TWRP Recovery for Galaxy S4 I337M Canada using an app from Play Store.
Use the comments section below to ask for help in case you cannot complete the root.