How to Root Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 with Odin
Even though the Galaxy Note 2 hasn’t been yet worldwide released by Samsung, those of xda-developers had managed to find a way from which you will be able to learn how to root your new phablet. Being a highly expected device, this can only make us happy, as if the root procedure was developed so early, it means that soon there will be many custom ROMs offered by the third party devs. Anyway, we will be checking in how to root the Galaxy Note2 N7100 by using Odin, the full guide being explained below.
Gaining root access implies in removing the factory restrictions out from the Note2 system, so you will unchain your handset and you will be able to have access to the internal system and OS. You can already tell that the operation which I have described above isn’t supported by Samsung and has nothing to do with the mentioned company. In fact, users usually root their devices for obtaining more power and for being able to customize and optimize the performances and the looks of their Android powered smartphones, tablets, or in our case phablets.
Furthermore, by rooting, you can install complex apps that require full access to the OS in order to work properly and flash a custom recovery image, like CWM. CWM is mostly used when you want to apply a custom update, which of course must be installed if you want to improve the OS or the performances. There are many benefits that come with such operation, so completing the same is no longer an option for you.
Now, for succeeding with the root operation, you will have to use Odin. This is a dedicated tool which comes to help you when you are trying to perform procedures like backups, restoration and maintenance, hard reset, root or update to a custom or beta ROM. Therefore, you have nothing to worry about as Odin will only be used for helping you out. Of course, by rooting your Note 2, you will void its warranty, because you will unchain the system. So, be careful and try not to mess things up. This operation is being considered risky and you shouldn’t apply something without consulting a tutorial such as the present one.
The warranty can be regained but only if you downgrade to the stock ROM, or if you update the Note with an official firmware released by Samsung and suitable with your handset. That’s why you must first consider in backing up the current ROM. In this way you can easily restore it in case something goes wrong and the system gets damaged. Furthermore, as you are about to make changes into the internal system, you should also backup all of the data which is saved on the internal storage memory of your Note2. Now, you can save your personal info in several ways, but the best it will be to use the cloud for saving the contacts, download SMS backup and restore apps for saving the text messages, download call log backup and restore tools for Android and use a computer for saving other files.
As soon as you ensure that your data is in safe hands, you should complete the following list. Here are the main pre requisites which must be done before you head and apply the proper steps. Without taking care of the next few lines you will not be able to root the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
- Access to a Windows powered computer is required.
- You will have to connect the device with the PC so the USB cord should be near you.
- First of all, backup the data.
- Then, on the computer and Note deactivate or even uninstall the security programs; antivirus and Firewall protection included (these tools are usually interrupting the root process).
- Your handset should be charged before starting the tutorial, or else it might get turned off in the middle of the operation.
- The USB debugging option should be enabled on your phone.
Now, make sure you are applying this step by step guide only for rooting the international version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2, model number N7100. For this go to “Settings -> About Phone”; if you do complete the next procedure for a similar device then you risk in bricking it. So, be careful in what you do and read twice before starting to use Odin.
How to Root Galaxy Note 2 N7100 with Odin
- The first thing to do is to download the root package from here.
- Save the file on your computer.
- On the same PC download Odin.
- Extract and install the tool.
- On the computer open Odin.
- Next, turn off the device as it must be entered in download mode.
- For download mode press and hold Volume Up button while powering up.
- When the download mode is reached, connect the Note with the computer by using its USB cable.
- Once you do that, on Odin the “added” message should be displayed.
- Also, the ID:COM section should be yellow.
- If not, install the drivers again and then redo the above steps.
- Up next, on Odin, select “PDA”.
- Pick the downloaded file.
- Don’t make any other changes, just click on “Start”.
- The root process will now begin.
- Wait until it’s over and in the end unplug the USB cord and reboot the Note2.
Well, if you decide to buy the new Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100, then now you know how to root it. In this way you can use it at its full performances as the system is opened for changes and improvements. Remember that a custom ROM firmware can be updated to your Note, so stay close as we will bring suitable guides soon. Until then, share your thoughts and impressions with us related to the present tutorial and to the Note2.