Root Galaxy S2 GT I9100 on Jelly Bean 4.1.2 UHMS9 OS
The Galaxy S2 GT I9100 had just received the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean UHMS9 update (you can learn how to manually apply the firmware by using our step by step guide –click on the link from above), so now as usual we will be checking on how to root your device. Of course, this root procedure will be suitable only with the Galaxy S2 on UHMS9 software so don’t use this tutorial if your handset is running a different version of the Jelly Bean ROM.
Those who have owned a rooted device before updating to official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 UHMS9 OS are probably familiar with the rooting operation, so the below procedure will be an usual task. But if you are trying to gain root access for the first time, then you should know that this tutorial is being considered a complex and risky operation, so if you somehow mess things up you can even end up in bricking your Galaxy S2. Therefore, don’t complete things by yourselves, just read all the lines from this guide and stick to my indications and to the steps included in tutorial.
You must root the Galaxy S2 if you want to unchain the system from the factory restriction. By gaining root access you will remove all the security programs and default settings and you will gain access to the internal system of your S2. Therefore, after rooting you will be able to remove in built programs, make changes into the internal system, perform optimization and customization procedures, install complex apps (like a custom recovery image – CWM recovery) and so on. The best part is that once this guide is completed you will be able to update your Samsung Galaxy S2 with custom ROMs firmware, which will power up the performances of your phone.
But as you can already tell, this is an unofficial operation that has nothing to do with Samsung. So, by gaining root access you will actually void the Galaxy S2 warranty. Also, you will not be able to apply future official updates as the OTA releases will no longer be recognized by your smartphone (you will have to manually install the stock software). Regarding to the warranty, you shouldn’t get scared, because you can anytime restore the same by downgrading / updating to stock ROM.
It is important to backup the Galaxy S2 data before rooting its Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXDMB5 OS. As you will see, for completing this guide you will have to use Odin so if everything is going as planned all of your personal data should be in safe hands; but if something unexpected is happening, you will have to wipe the system so everything that is being saved on the internal storage memory of your device will erased. Because of the same reasons applying a backup is a must have.
Then, before starting the root procedure take a look and perform the pre requisites which are being detailed during the following list.
- You need to use a computer or notebook where you will install Odin and download the update file.
- In order to avoid the unpleasant situations first uninstall the antivirus and other security programs from the computer and smartphone.
- Also, it is recommended to charge your Galaxy S2, especially if you notice that there is less than 60% power left.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your device. You can do this by heading to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Make sure that you are applying the next steps only if your phone is powered by the official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 UHMS9 OS; go to “Settings -> About Phone” and check the firmware version first.
- Also this guide is suitable only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number GT I9100 that runs on the mentioned software so don’t complete the tutorial if you have a similar handset; you will risk in bricking your Android based device.
How to Root Galaxy S2 GT I9100 on Jelly Bean 4.1.2 UHMS9 OS
- The first thing to do is to download Odin and install the same on your computer.
- Then, you should also download Samsung KIES for installing the proper drivers for your handset.
- Next, on the same computer download and extract the rooting package (the download link is here).
- On the computer open Odin.
- Then, take your phone, turn it off and reboot into download mode.
- For reaching download mode press and hold the Volume Down, Center and Power buttons at the same time.
- Connect the smartphone with the computer via USB cable.
- Take a look on Odin: the ID:COM section should be yellow or blue and the “added” message should be displayed.
- If different you will have to re-install the drivers on your PC and repeat the procedure from the beginning.
- Anyway, if everything is as expected, then you need to open the “PDA” option from Odin.
- Then, pick the rooting package which was extracted before.
- Click on “Start” and wait while the rooting procedure is running.
- In the end, on Odin the “pass” message should be displayed.
- You can safely unplug the USB cord and reboot your device.
Common issues: if in the end you are getting a boot loop you need to reboot into recovery mode (press and hold Volume Up, Center and Power buttons at the same time) and wipe the system (select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”); then reboot and that’s it. Also, the first boot might take longer than usual; if that happens, don’t worry as there is nothing wrong with your S2. Finally, if during the rooting operation Odin gets stuck you need to close the same, unplug the USB cable, reinstall the drivers, force restart your handset and repeat the steps from the beginning.
There you have it; that was the how to procedure that can be used by those who want to root the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9100 on Jelly Bean 4.1.2 UHMS9 OS. If you have questions or something to share with us use the comments area from below.