If you have received and applied the official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLS8 firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100 then you are probably looking for a root method that can be completed for your handset and for its new OS. Well, if so, this step by step guide will be extremely useful for you, as during the next lines I have explained and detailed on how to easily root the Galaxy S2 that runs the latest stock Android 4.1.2 XWLS8 software. Do read all the lines from this tutorial for ensuring that you are performing a safe root operation.
Remember that the official update has been released by Samsung for limited markets only and you might receive the OTA variant later than expected. The same can be applied if you are trying to use KIES for flashing the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 software on your Galaxy S2, so it might be a good idea to install the XWLS8 firmware manually by using our suitable tutorial. Then, you can return here and resume this guide for learning how to root the Galaxy S2 that is being powered by the new XWLS8 OS. Don’t forget that the steps from below should be completed only by those who have already updated their phones to the mentioned ROM.
Now, if you still haven’t decide whether to root or not your Galaxy S2, here is what you should know. First, you might want to apply this guide if you want to gain more control and access over the internal system of your phone. The root operation implies in removing the restrictions and unchaining the OS therefore you will be able to make changes to the same. Then, the root access must be granted if you are looking forward in installing complex apps on your S2, or if you want to improve the performances by updating with a custom ROM firmware.
There are many advantages that come with a rooted system, but of course, you must know that there is also something that might scare you a little bit. By applying this tutorial, the Samsung Galaxy S2 warranty will be void. Unfortunately this aspect can’t be avoided, so if you’re not comfortable with the warranty detail maybe it will be better to stop going any further. Anyway, what you should know is that the warranty can be restored; but for that you will have to downgrade your handset to stock ROM or update with an official software released by Samsung and suitable with your Galaxy S2 model number I9100.
Then, it is also recommend to backup the Galaxy S2 data because in the end you might notice that all of your personal info has been wiped out. Because of that, take your time and first save the contacts, messages, call logs, EFS and everything else you need to. Backup only the data which is saved on your phone’s internal storage memory.
Finally, you need to prepare your device and ensure that everything else is being checked out for the root process. In order to succeed with our work, you will have to use a Windows running computer with internet connection enabled. On your computer and on your smartphone you will have to previously uninstall all the security options, like antivirus or Firewall protection. Then, the battery of your S2 should be charged (minimum 60% power left). Also, go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the last option (the USB debugging one). And, don’t forget that this tutorial must be applied only by those who own the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100, which has been updated to official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XWLS8 firmware.
How to Root Galaxy S2 I9100 on Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLS8 OS
- First, download the XWLS8 Jellybean 4.1.2 Rooting Kernel from here.
- Also, download Odin.
- Save the files on your computer.
- Extract both files on the PC and install Odin.
- On the PC open Odin.
- Then turn off your phone and reboot in download mode.
- The download mode can be reached by pressing on the Volume Up and Power buttons at the same time.
- With the handset in download mode, connect the S2 with the computer by using the USB cable.
- Once you do that, on Odin the “added” message should be displayed and the ID:COM section should now be yellow.
- If not, re-install the drivers for the Galaxy S2 on your PC and then repeat the above steps.
- From Odin, select the “PDA” option.
- Pick the downloaded root file now and click on “start”.
- Don’t make any other changes on Odin.
- Wait until the process ends; you should see the “pass” message displayed on Odin.
- Unplug the USB cable as you are done.
Take note because the first boot will take longer than usual, but there is nothing wrong with your phone. Also, if you will get a boot loop, then you will have to make a wipe by using the recovery mode. If you don’t know how, here is what you need to do:
- Turn off the phone.
- Reboot by pressing the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
- Recovery mode should be displayed.
- Just select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now”.
So, there you have it; that was all for today. You have finally rooted your Samsung Galaxy S2 on official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLS8 OS. This tutorial was first developed by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for this opportunity. You can easily flash a custom ROM for customizing and optimizing the performances and looks of your device now; check our update Galaxy S2 section for proper guides. Use our comments section for sharing your thoughts or questions with us and with other users as well.