If you have updated your Samsung Galaxy S4 Active to official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUAMF7 firmware then you are probably looking for a suitable root method. As you might know, when applying official or OTA updates (manually or not it doesn’t matter) the root access gets revoked. So, even though your S4 Active has been rooted before installing the JB 4.2.2 firmware, now you have to gain root access once more and this time by using a tutorial suitable with the new XXUAMF7 OS. Well, the present step by step guide will easily root your SGS4 Active model number I9295 – the international model and I337 – the AT&T version, therefore if you need further aspects or if you want to check the proper steps, just take a look below.
Gaining root access is important especially when talking about high end smartphones and tablets. By rooting you are removing the factory restrictions which means that you can gain access to the internal system of your handset. And if you can access the system then it means that all the other apps and tools can do the same. That’s why on a rooted Galaxy S4 Active you will be able to install custom apps, like CWM or TWRP recovery, flash custom ROMs based on latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean system, install custom kernels and even overclock the CPU.
Therefore, root your S4 Active if you want to improve the speeds, upgrade the battery life, customize the looks and power up the performances. The root access is the first operation to complete when having an Android based device. Of course the backup should be the first thing to do as nothing is more important than your personal info, accounts and saves. That’s the same case here, so before starting to root your Active, first backup the data that is saved on the internal storage memory of your device. For completing the backup use suitable apps from Google Play store. Don’t worry, after rooting, you will be able to backup the data easier by making a Nandroid backup or by using other features included on a custom recovery image.
The backup is actually one of the pre requisites, which represents the preparation tasks that must be completed before starting the root operation. The rest of the procedures are being detailed during the following list. On the same list you can check the rest of the details that are related to the root operation. Don’t skip this part as you can lose important info; also by skipping the list from below you can end up in bricking your Samsung Galaxy S4 Active – model numbers I9295 and I337).
- The root access represents an unofficial procedure that has nothing to do with Google or with Samsung (in this case). So, as a first conclusion, the S4 Active warranty will get void.
- If you need to restore the warranty or if you want to go back to stock Android OS, you need to downgrade / update your smartphone to official / stock Android firmware.
- Do note that on rooted system the OTA release can’t be received or applied – you will have to manually install the official Android software.
- Since this is a complex operation, for completing the same a windows running computer will be required along with your smartphone and with its USB cable.
- On both PC and device there shouldn’t be any security programs running – deactivate the security protection.
- On your phone go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and check the USB debugging option.
- On the computer the Galaxy S4 Active drivers must be installed; use Samsung KIES (download the tool on your computer) for flashing the same.
- Check the battery status of your phone: in case there is more than 60% power left skip this step, else charge your handset.
- The guide will be divided in two sections: the first is suitable with the international model of SGS4 Active while the second must be followed by the AT&T users of the S4 Active.
- Use this tutorial only if you own one of the mentioned smartphones or else you can end up in bricking your Android based device.
How to root the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active I9295
- On your computer download, unzip and install Odin.
- In the end run the program.
- Remember to install the Active drivers on your computer.
- Then, from here download the root package.
- Unzip the root file on desktop.
- Turn off your phone and wait a few seconds.
- Then, enter download mode: press and hold Volume Down, Power and Home buttons together.
- With the phone booted into download mode, plug in the USB cable and connect your handset with the computer.
- Once you do that, on Odin the “added” message will be displayed and the ID:COM box will be yellow, or sometimes blue.
- From Odin select “PDA”.
- Pick the root file.
- Click on “start” without making any other changes.
- Wait while your device is being rooted.
- Done, you can unplug the USB cable and reboot your S4 Active.
- If Odin gets stuck, or if something isn’t working as explained: close Odin, unplug the USb cable, force restart your phone, re-install the drivers on the computer and then re-try the procedure from step 1.
How to Root the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active I337 – AT&T model
- Take your smartphone and go to path “Settings -> More -> Security”. From there enable the “Unknown sources” and “Verify apps” options.
- Then, go at this page and from there download the ar.apk file.
- Connect your handset with the computer.
- Use the USB cable for establishing the connection.
- Copy-paste the downloaded app from computer to your S4 Active.
- Install the tool on your phone.
- Run the tool and follow the prompts; your handset will be rooted.
- Download SuperUser app from Google Play.
- Install the app and run the same.
- Update the binary and enjoy, you are done.
Good job, now you know how to root your Samsung Galaxy Active. Remember that this step by step guide is compatible only with the AT&T and international versions of the mentioned smartphone. Further root guides will be developed soon, so stay close as we will bring suitable tutorials as soon as something new comes out. For any other aspects, or for sharing something with our team, use the comments area from below.