Root Galaxy S4 I9500 on Official JB 4.2.2 XXUBMGA OS
Having a rooted handset means that you are an advanced Android user who is always trying to use its smartphone on full power by enjoying all the features, apps and capabilities that are available on the market. So, gaining root access is extremely important especially if you have a high end phone, like the Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500. That’s why by using this tutorial you will be able to learn how easily root the Galaxy S4 that runs on stock / official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUBMGA firmware.
This process will be easy to complete as Odin will be used for applying the root package on your SGS4. Actually you will flash a rooted JB 4.2.2 XXUBMGA OS on your device, which means that the operation will be similar with an update one. Do note that the root task in though unofficial, so the warranty of your S4 will get void. Anyway, this is not permanent, meaning that you can anytime choose to revoke the root access for reclaiming and regaining the warranty back. For revoking root access you will have to update your Galaxy S4 I9500 with an official release of the Android system, or you will have to downgrade to stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2 XXUBMGA software.
The advantages of root are numerous, but I do have to mention the following ones: on a rooted system you can access the OS and the internal system of the device for performing different operations such as removing in built programs or customize the performances; also on rooted handsets you can install a custom recovery image which can then be used for flashing custom ROMs and custom kernels; then, of course you will be able to overckock your Android device, or undervolt the same in case you need to upgrade the battery life; finally and as you may know, rooting is the first step to do when trying to speed up and upgrade the battery life of your smartphone / tablet.
Anyhow, before rooting your galaxy S4 just remember that the warranty will get void. So, be careful and try not to mess things up. Read the guidelines from below and everything will be fine.
Backup the text messages, call logs, internet settings, market apps and everything that’s important for you as the Galaxy S4 system might get wiped out or your data might get corrupted while applying the steps from below. If you want to avoid the unpleasant situation in which you lose all of your personal saves, info and accounts, complete a full backup first. Then, complete the rest of the pre requisites from below:
- Make sure that a Windows running computer can be used as you will have to download Odin and the root package suitable with your S4 on the same.
- On the computer there shouldn’t be installed antivirus, antimalware or any other security programs; if different before starting the root operation, deactivate the security protection.
- Since you will have to connect your phone with the computer, the USB cable should be near you; also due to same considerations, on your smartphone go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development” and enable the USB debugging option.
- Then, the process will take a while which means that your device might get turned off due to lack of battery. For avoiding that (your handset might get bricked if not) you should charge your SGS4 if there is less than 60% power left.
- Remember that this tutorial is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 that runs on stock / official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUBMGA firmware. Trying to root a different device or a different Android software with the steps from below will most likely brick your Android based smartphone, or tablet.
How to Root Galaxy S4 I9500 on Official JB 4.2.2 XXUBMGA OS
- Download the root package by using the link from here.
- Unzip the package on desktop.
- Then, download and unzip Odin.
- Also, launch / run the program.
- Download Samsung KIES and install the S4 drivers if on your computer the drivers are not already installed.
- Turn off your phone as the fun begins.
- Wait a few seconds and then press on Power, volume down and home buttons – the download mode will be displayed.
- Connect your phone with the computer – use the USB cable.
- On Odin now you should notice the following: ID:COM section is either yellow or blue; the “added” message is there.
- If not, try to reinstall the drivers and then repeat the steps from above.
- For starting the root operation, first you will have to click on the “PDA” option.
- Then, you will have to select the root file.
- Finally, select “start”, but don’t make any other changes on Odin.
- Wait while your smartphone is being unlocked.
- In the end, Odin will display the “pass” message while the ID:COM section will be green.
- You can unplug the USB cable and reboot your device.
Perfect, you are done; so congratulations you have successfully rooted the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 XXUBMGA firmware that runs on your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500. If you have encountered issues while trying to apply the up-explained steps, use this guide and learn how to resolve the possible problems. Then, return here and share your experience with our team (use the comments area from the end of the present tutorial) or with others that might want to use this step by step guide.