After we have showed you how to unlock the bootloader (and re-lock if needed) of the recently released LG Google Nexus 4, now it’s time to explain another method that must be performed by those who are looking forward in unchaining the system of their smartphones. As you can figure it out, today, we will be checking in how to root the Google Nexus 4, the proper procedure being explained during the following step by step guide. The operation is not hard to complete but there are many things to take care of, so I recommend you to be patience and read all the lines, or else you can end up in bricking your Android 4.2 based device.
The LG Google Nexus 4 must be rooted especially if you want to take full advantage of its performances. As you might know, when you first buy a handset, it will be delivered with a locked system with many factory restrictions installed. Therefore, it is your job to unlock the Nexus 4. Of course you should start by unlocking the bootloader and then continue by gaining root access over the operating system. In this way you will be able to have access to the internal files of your phone, not to mention that once you succeed with the rooting procedure, you will be able to customize and optimize the performances of your Nexus 4.
Well, this means that after completing the present tutorial, you will be able to install a custom recovery, like CWM recovery, on your smartphone, and then update it with a custom ROM firmware like CM10 or AOKP. Also, you will be able to install complex apps on your phone, tools that requires root access in order to work properly. As you can see there are numerous reasons that can be mentioned for rooting the Nexus 4, therefore you should give it a try. The proper method is being explained below, but before that you must read and apply the pre requisites, which are being mentioned during the following list.
- First of all, you must know that by rooting your Google Nexus 4 you will void the warranty of your phone. If something wrong happens, you will be by yourselves.
- You can restore the warranty by downgrading to the stock ROM or by updating with an official firmware provided by LG and Google. Then, the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked.
- Also, you should first backup the data which is being stored on your device.
- You can use our backup and restore guides for learning how to easily save all the data from your Nexus2. Just search for the same through our how to section.
- You will have to use a Windows running computer and have access to your handset and to its USB cord.
- On your computer and on the device uninstall the security options and tools (antivirus and Firewall protection included) before heading to the proper steps.
- Furthermore, go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the USB debugging option.
- Charge the battery of your phone if there is less than 50% power left.
- This guide was provided by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for this opportunity. You can anytime search through our source page for more details by using the link from here.
- Apply this tutorial only if you want to root the LG Google Nexus 4, because the method will not work for other devices. More, you can easily brick your smartphones by using this procedure, so be careful in what you do.
How to Easily Root Google Nexus 4
- Install ADB (insecure boot image) in your computer from here.
- Then, download the root package by using this link and save the file on your computer.
- Extract the downloaded file on the same computer (to the C:/android/platform-tools or in c:/android/tools).
- Install the proper drivers for your phone.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot in bootloader (fastboot) mode by pressing the Volume down and Power buttons at the same time.
- And connect the device with the PC by using the USB cord.
- On the computer open Command Prompt; for that go to “Start -> run -> type cmd”.
- The cmd window will be displayed. Enter the commands: “adb reboot bootloader”, “fastboot oem unlock” and “fastboot boot boot.img”.
- Up next, as soon as you have completed the above steps, on the same cmd window enter the following commands:
- Reboot the handset as you are done.
So, that is all you need to do in order to safely and easily root the LG Google Nexus 4. Now you can go and install custom apps on your phone, flash a custom recovery image, or more important update with a custom ROM firmware. If there were problems with the method explained above, use the comments area for sharing your thoughts and impressions with us and we will try to resolve the problems for you. Also, stay close as we will bring more tutorials suitable with your Nexus 4 smartphone in the coming days.