If you had recently updated your HTC One XL handset with the latest 1.85 firmware, then you will probably want to root this new OS. Of course for completing this, you will have to follow and apply a suitable guide for the new ROM; if so, then you are in the right place as I will show you how to easily (one click method) root your HTC One XL that runs the 1.85 software. The process will be quick and safe therefore you have all the “ingredients” for performing this operation. I have explained more details below.
First of all, if you had a rooted HTC One XL before applying the 1.85 update, you should know that once the software is installed the root access is revoked. So, you will have to re-gain the root access but only by using and following a new guide that suits the new OS. If different you can damage the system or worst, you can even brick it. Therefore, even if the method is more than easy, don’t try to do it by yourselves as you can somehow and by accident do something wrong. It’s recommended to avoid unpleasant situations, so read all the lines from this tutorial.
As usual, by rooting the warranty will get void. This operation is not supported by HTC or by the carrier so if you choose to root, the warranty will no longer be yours. In fact, by completing this process, you will remove the default settings from your phone, meaning that the OS will be unchained from the factory restrictions. That’s why, after rooting, you will be able to flash a custom ROM on your One XL, install a beta firmware, or apply an unofficial update. Also, from now on, you will be able to download and install all types of apps.
Before rooting, as before starting any kinds of procedures, you should consider in backing up the data which is stored on your smartphone. There are chances to lose it, so why to risk? The backup operation is easy to complete and it will only take a couple of minutes from your time. You will be back on track in the shortest time possible. All you have to do is to go on Google Play and download some dedicated tools, install the same and follow the prompts. If you are not used with these kinds of tasks, then you can follow our tips from the list below:
- Save the Internet settings by following this guide.
- Backup Market apps and any other tools by checking this tutorial.
- Call logs can be saved by downloading suitable backup and restore apps.
- Sync with Google via Gmail and save the contacts.
- Save SMS or any other text message by downloading backup and restore apps for Android.
- Use a computer for storing other files.
As soon as you are done with protecting your personal info, you can head to the preparation things that must be completed before the proper steps. After this you will be able to safely take care of the basic tutorial and actual learn how to root your HTC One XL.
- Apply the update only if you have a HTC One XL Android powered smartphone.
- Make sure you have access to a Windows running computer.
- On the computer and on the smartphone temporarily deactivate the Firewall and antivirus programs.
- On your HTC go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the last option (USB debugging).
- If the device has least than 60% power left, charge it first.
Ok, now as promised, I will begin the step by step guide. Just make sure you are doing all as explained and remember that this is a one click root procedure, so don’t expect to see numerous steps.
How to Root HTC One XL that runs 1.85 Firmware
- Download the package from here and save it to your computer.
- Then, extract the same and check if you have these files: adb, adbWinApi.dll, adbWinUsbApi.dll, busybox, magic.sh, root, su and Superuser.apk. If not, you should download the root package again.
- On your phone disable fastboot from Settings and Power Menu.
- Take the USB cable and use it for connecting the handset with the computer.
- On the PC go and run the root.bat executable.
- Wait until the process ends and then disconnect the device (remove the USB cable) as we are done.
That was the one click method in which you can root the HTC One XL handset that runs the 1.85 firmware. You can now think in completing other operations with your phone, such as flashing a custom ROM or applying a beta software. It’s your decision, but for powering the performances, a custom ROM is what you need. Stay close for further updates and guides and tell us if you have any Android related problems and we will try to resolve them.