How to Root the Ice Cream Sandwich Acer Iconia Tab A100
With the Ice Cream Sandwich operating system released, more and more Android based devices are now getting the long-awaited update, though not all the OS versions are official ones. Anyway, as you might probably know, the Acer Iconia Tab A100 is one of the devices that recently received the ICS Android 4.0 Firmware; the versions available for upgrading are many, but this is not the purpose of the present guide, as during the following lines I will show you how to root the ICS powered Acer Iconia Tab A100.
In case you don’t know, when you choose to make an OS update, the settings from your tablet / phone will be reset. This means that you will lose the root access after installing the ICS firmware. So, in order to re-gain the lost control over your tablet, you must follow this tutorial. As you will see, the operation is easy to understand and it will only take a couple of minutes completing it. All the details are explained and detailed during a few steps, which will take you through the whole procedure.
You must learn how to root the Acer Iconia Tab A100 if you are looking forward in unchaining its OS from the factory restrictions, or if you need to make future updates, installing custom ROMs (such as CyanogenMod) or flashing custom recovery images (like ClockworkMod recovery) on it. The benefits that come with a rooted device are many, the up-mentioned ones being only a small part of them.
But before we begin with the proper how to guide, here is what you should know. First of all, if you choose to root the A 100 tablet, then you will void your Acer warranty; in case something bad happens with your device, you will be on your own.
Then, the data stored on the tablet will be wiped out. You can see why it is more than recommended to backup the Iconia Tab A 100 data, contacts, emails, calendar info, apps and everything else you need to. In order to complete a safe and complete backup you can use the SMS Backup + by Jan Berkel for saving the SMS / MMS messages, the android cloud for the contacts and calendar, the Astro File Manager for the Market apps and the SD card, or the PC for any other data stored on your device.
Now, you will need a Windows (preferable) / MAC / Linux running computer, the Acer tablet and its USB cord. Also, you need to prepare them for the process. This is for avoiding the unpleasant situations, so make sure you read all the lines form this tutorial. Follow:
- Turn off the security tools from the PC and from the tablet, because it can interfere (by interrupting the procedure) with your work.
- Make sure that the Acer Iconia Tab A100 has more than 60% battery power left; if not charge it and then return here.
- Remember to backup your personal data from the tablet.
- Enable the USB Debugging from the Iconia Tab. If you don’t know how, go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”. The USB debugging can checked only if the tablet isn’t connected with the PC.
That being said, you can now precede to the next section of this guide: How to Root the Ice Cream Sandwich Acer Iconia Tab A100:
- The first thing to do is to download the tools needed. Therefore get the rooting package from here and place it to your computer.
- Then, extract the files. In the end make sure you have all the following files: tools, adb, AdbWinApi.dll, AdbWinUsbApi.dll, fastboot, runit-linux.sh and runit-win.
- Connect your tablet with the PC by using the USB cord.
- On the computer run the file named “runit-win.bat” (for windows) or “runit-linux.sh” (for Linux).
- Now the root operation will begin. As you can see this app is doing all your work, so just sit back and relax until is done.
- That’s it; in the end remove te=he tablet from the PC and restore your data.
The above instructions should be all that you need in order to Root the Ice Cream Sandwich Acer Iconia Tab A100. There shouldn’t be any kinds of problems, but if somehow, something isn’t working return here and share your thoughts with us.