If you had recently bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablet, you will probably want to see what it is really capable of. But, in order to test and also improve its performances, you will have to make some changes into its system first and the perfect way to start doing this is by learning how to root and install a custom recovery image (we will use ClockworkMod Recovery) on your Galaxy Tab 2 GT P3110 device. This is exactly what we will be checking during the following lines, so for the proper procedure check the step by step guide from below.
I know that the Tab 2 is a powerful tablet that comes with high end specs, but, as you might know, there are many apps and tools that require root access before being able to install and use the same. Furthermore, if you will want to customize, optimize or power up the Android based system than you will also have to root your gadget. Of course, if you want to complete more complex operations, like applying beta firmware, or custom ROMs, gaining root access is really not an option for you; and, as we will bring a how to guide in which you will be able to learn how to flash such a custom ROM on your Tab 2, then you must read and perform the steps included in this tutorial.
There is one more thing to consider though. In order to be able to apply the up mentioned operations, you will have to get and install the ClockworkMod Recovery custom recovery image on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. A recovery image is used when you want to flash a firmware, or an update form the SD card, or for making ROM backups, or maintenance and restorations procedures. You must install CWM if you want to have full access to your tablet’s internal system. But, don’t worry as I will show you how to complete both tasks by following just one guide, the one that you are reading right now.
Anyway, you must be careful, because you are about to unchain the system which is running on your Tab 2. This means that by gaining root access, you will also void the Samsung warranty. So, don’t try to mess things up as you can brick your tablet and there’s no one to help you. That’s why you must follow and apply the present tutorial only for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, model version GT P3110 devices; if you perform the same on similar gadgets, than you will risk in wrecking them out. Take note, that the warranty can be restored only by updating the Tab with the official Android OS, or by relocking its bootloader.
Another thing that you must take care of is referring to your personal data stored on your tablet. For avoiding bad things for happening you should back up all of your info first. You can make it in different ways, it doesn’t matter how; but if you want a helping hand, you have some tips here: backup the contacts by syncing with Google, save the text messages, or emails by downloading backup and restore apps for Android, use a computer for saving other files like videos or images, backup internet settings by following this guide. As soon as you are done with the backup, you should begin in resolving the next pre requisites:
- Install the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 P3110 drivers (download link: 32 bit; 64bit) to your computer.
- Charge the battery of your tablet as it might turn off in the middle of the process and we don’t want that to happen.
- Deactivate the security programs installed on your PC and on your tablet.
We are about to get started, so read all carefully and try to follow my directions. Don’t do things by yourselves.
How to Root and Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Galaxy Tab 2 GT P3110
- Download the CWM file from here.
- Download the rooting package from here.
- Download Odin.
- Place these files on your computer.
- Then, connect the tablet with the PC.
- Copy the CWM – root file you just downloaded from the PC to the tablet’s internal memory.
- Disconnect the Tab 2 by removing the USB cord.
- Turn it off.
- Then reboot and enter in download mode.
- For download mode: press the Volume Down Key and Power button and then when you see the Yellow triangle, press the Volume Down key to enter the Tab 2 P3110 in the download mode.
- On the PC extract and then open Odin.
- Connect the device again with the PC.
- On Odin the ID:COM section should now be yellow.
- Click on “PDA” and select the files copied before.
- Click on “Start”.
- In the end the tablet should reboot.
- Disconnect it from the computer and turn it off.
- Reboot and enter in recovery mode: press the Volume down rocker key and power button.
- In recovery mode, choose to perform a full wipe of the system: select “Wipe data factory reset” and “Wipe cache partition”.
- Then “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- Remember to download the Super user app from Google Play.
Finally, you had managed to install ClockworkMod Recovery and also root your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 GT P3110 tablet. You can now try to flash a custom ROM, or apply a beta / unofficial update into its system. Also, try the numerous apps that needs root access. Share your thoughts and possible problems with us (during the comments area) and we will try to resolve your issues. Also, stay close as we will bring a how to guide in which you will be able to learn how to update your Tab 2.