Acer CloudMobile S500 was released last year, the phone being a mid-range Android based device with regular specs and features. If you have bought the mentioned smartphone, then you are probably looking into powering up, or customizing its performances and looks. If so, then you will have to start the upgrading operation by performing other procedures, like rooting and installing a custom recovery image. The same will be explained during the following lines, where I will show you how to easily root and flash CWM recovery on your Acer CloudMobile S500.
First of all, you will have to root your CloudMobile because in this way you can unchain your phone from the annoying factory restrictions and default settings that are “protecting” in-built programs and folders. Actually by gaining root access you will be able to have access to the internal system of the smartphone and to its OS, meaning that you can change, apply, or erase programs and apps, perform customization and optimization operations and update with custom ROMs firmware.
Then, you must flash CWM recovery if you want to obtain more power from your Acer CloudMobile or if you want a user friendly interface between you and the internal system of your device. By using a custom recovery image you can easily apply: backup and restore operations, maintenance, customization, optimization, wiping and hard reset procedures and you can also flash .zip files from the SD card, which is essential when you are looking into updating with an unofficial software (for example, if you need to install the CM10 custom ROM on your Acer CloudMobile S500, first you will have to root and flash CWM recovery into its system).
Now, it should be clear for you that the root operation is not official; also the same can be applied when talking about CWM recovery, which is a custom recovery image that will replace the stock recovery that comes pre-installed on your Acer CloudMobile S500. So, by completing this step by step guide you will void the warranty of your phone. Don’t worry though because you can easily restore the warranty by downgrading to stock / official Android OS. Of course, then the root access will be revoked and the factory restrictions re-installed.
Let’s proceed now to the pre requisites which must be applied and checked out before heading to the actual installation procedure.
- You need to unlock the bootloader of your Acer CloudMobile first; else you will not be able to apply the next steps.
- It is recommended to backup the data which is saved on the internal storage memory of your smartphone. When performing unofficial operations, the data is most likely wiped out meaning that you can end up in losing the contacts list, call logs, market apps, text message and everything else.
- This guide will work only if you will use a Windows powered computer that comes with Android SDK / ADB installed; you can learn how to install the Android SDK by following our suitable guide (click on the link from above).
- Also, on the computer and on your phone there shouldn’t be any security tools installed; deactivate the antivirus and Firewall protection.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your device by heading to “Menu -> Settings -> Developer options -> USB debugging”.
- Install the Acer CloudMobile drivers on your computer or else you will not be able to root or install CWM recovery.
- If you notice that your phone has less than 60% power left, you should charge its battery; else the handset might get turned off in the middle of the installation procedure.
This step by step guide is compatible only with the Acer CloudMobile S500; don’t use this tutorial if you own a different or similar Android powered device. The worst that can happen is to brick your smartphone, so be careful in what you do and try not to mess things up.
How to Install CWM Recovery on Acer CloudMobile S500
- Download the file from here on your computer.
- Extract the file on the desktop.
- Connect your handset with the computer by using its USB cable.
- On your PC open cmd (if you don’t know how select “start -> run -> type cmd”).
- In the CMD window, first enter the command: “adb reboot bootloader”.
- Your phone will be rebooted into bootloader mode now.
- Up next, on the same cmd window enter “fastboot -i 0x0502 flash recovery CWM-188.8.131.52_S500.img”.
- When the flashing operation ends, unplug the USB cable and reboot your phone.
How to Root Acer CloudMobile S500
- On your computer download the SuperUser file from here.
- Connect your handset with the computer via USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded file from the computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Then, on the PC open cmd (“start -> run -> cmd”).
- In the window that opens enter “adb reboot recovery”.
- The recovery mode menu will be displayed on your smartphone.
- From there select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the SuperUser file from the SD card and start the installation procedure.
- In the end, from recovery select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- In case, your handset will get stuck in a boot loop, you will have to reboot it into recovery once more (repeat the steps from above) and this time select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
Congratulations, you have finally learned how to root and install a custom recovery image (CWM recovery) on your Acer CloudMobile S500. You can now start tweaking your smartphone by performing other operations, like updating with a custom ROM firmware. Stay close as we will bring suitable guides for you and also do tell us how things worked for you and share your thoughts with us and with other users who might be interested in applying this tutorial.