The Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini is a high end device, not quite similar in specs and features with the classic Galaxy S4, though the performances are still impressive. Anyway, if you would like to tweak your Android device for improving its battery life, the speeds and the Jelly Bean experience, then you should know that root access is being required. Also, most of the custom operations can’t be performed unless your phone has a custom recovery image installed, so during the present tutorial I will show you how to easily root and install CWM recovery on your Galaxy S4 Mini model number I9195.
Gaining root access should be the first thing to do when owning an Android device. So, you should do the same on your S4 Mini. Why? Well, by rooting you will gain access to the internal system of your smartphone meaning that you will be able to remove inbuilt programs (remove the bloatware for improving the speeds), upgrade the battery life, and install complex apps that requires root access in order to run properly. Furthermore, on rooted SGS4 Mini you will be able to flash a custom recovery image, update with a custom ROM firmware and even overclocking the CPU.
Actually, by gaining root access you will remove the factory restrictions and default settings from your Galaxy S4 Mini. Because of that, the root process is an unofficial one. Unfortunately the warranty of your phone will get voided by completing this step by step guide as this is happening when applying unofficial procedures. Don’t panic though, as you can restore the warranty; all you have to do is to downgrade to stock ROM / update with an official version of the Android OS – soon Android 4.3 Jelly Bean will be made available for your S4 Mini. Do note that on rooted handsets the OTA releases can’t be flashed or received – you will have to manually install the official updates.
Then, the custom recovery image is required for operations like: flashing .zip files from the SD card, perform maintenance, customization and optimization procedures and apply Nandroid backups, wiping and restoration operations. The stock recovery, which comes pre-installed on all the Android powered smartphones and tablets can’t be used for applying custom ROMs or kernels or for tweaking your device, so a custom recovery must be installed instead.
CWM recovery is one of the most popular and used recovery image by Android users the app having important and useful features and an easy to handle user interface. Furthermore CWM recovery is available and compatible with almost all the smartphones and tablets available on the market so there won’t be a problem in flashing the same on your Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini.
Now, before rooting and installing CWM recovery on your Galaxy S4 Mini, backup the data that is saved on the internal storage memory of your device as it might get corrupted or wiped out. Save your contacts list, call logs, market apps and everything else you might need and use afterwards.
Then, after taking care of the backup, ensure that you can use a computer on which you have to deactivate the security protection because the security programs are usually interfering with the flashing operation. Next, on your phone go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and check the USB debugging option. Finally charge the battery of your device (if there is less than 60% power left) or else your smartphone might get turned off in the middle of the rooting process.
This guide is using Odin, which is an official tool provided by Samsung, but remember: the tutorial is unofficial and the warranty of your S4 Mini will get lost. Also, do note that this step by step guide is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini model number I9195 and not with any other Android based handset.
How to Root and Install CWM Recovery on Galaxy S4 Mini I9195
- First on your computer download Samsung KIES and install the Galaxy S4 Mini drivers – skip this step if the drivers are already installed.
- Then, on the same computer download the package from here.
- Extract or unzip the package on desktop.
- Now, download Odin.
- Unzip and install the program.
- Also, run Odin on your computer.
- Turn off your phone and reboot in download mode.
- For download mode: press and hold volume down, home and power buttons at the same time.
- Connect your handset with the computer.
- On Odin now the ID:COM section should be yellow or blue and the “added” message should be displayed.
- If not you should try to reinstall the drivers on the computer and repeat the steps from above.
- Now, from Odin click on “pda” and pick the GT-I9195_MF5_870901_kernel.tar.md5 file.
- F. Reset Time and Re-partition options should be unchecked on Odin.
- Click on “start”.
- Your S4 Mini will be rooted.
- In the end, on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed.
- Disconnect the devices and reboot your phone.
- Turn it off and reboot in download mode as showed above.
- Odin must be running on the computer.
- Connect your handset with the PC again and follow the steps from above.
- When clicking on “pda” this time pick the recovery-clockwork-220.127.116.11-serranoltexx.tar.md5 file.
- Wait while the CWM recovery tool will be installed on your phone.
- In the end, reboot your device.
- If your S4 Mini gets stuck in a boot loop: reboot in recovery by pressing on power, volume up and home buttons and then select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; return to recovery and select “reboot system now”.
- For any other problems use this step by step guide.
Good job; you have successfully rooted and installed CWM recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini model number I9195. Now you can update your device with a custom ROM firmware, remove bloatware or overclock the CPU so start improving the performances of your smartphone. Don’t forget to share your experience with us by using the comments area from below.