The Canadian users of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 can now safely root their new phablets and also install a custom recovery image on the same as those of xda-developers had made available a suitable root method for the N900W8 version of the mentioned device. Also, along with the root solution, the devs had released a compatible variant of TWRP recovery that can be easily installed on the Galaxy Note 3, so during the present step by step guide I will show you how to apply these operations on your handset.
In order to make it clear, the guidelines from below are being compatible with the Canadian and Latin American Galaxy Note 3. So, you will be able to use this tutorial as long as you own the N900W8 model of the phablet; anyway, if different don’t try this guide as you can end up in bricking your smartphone. Good, so you can root and install TWRP recovery on the Galaxy Note 3 that comes from Rogers, Bell, Telus, Virgin, Wind Mobile, Koodo, Mobilicity, Sasktel, Claro, Telcel, Sam, Videotron, Movistar and from other Latin American countries including Colombia, Peru, Puerto Rico, Argentina, or Mexico.
Rooting your Galaxy Note 3 is extremely important as the root access can enable other customization operations that can be applied on your device. With root access you are basically gaining access to the internal system of your handset which means that you can easily tweak your phone. Now, as you know, for the US variants of the phablet the root solution has been provided from a while now. So it was about time to see the same released for the Canadian Galaxy Note 3.
On a rooted Note 3 you will be able to install a custom recovery image (we will be checking on how to complete the same during the lines from below), flash a custom ROM firmware, apply a custom Kernel, overclock or undervolt de CPU, bump the speeds, upgrade the battery life, improve the performances, customize the looks and lot more. As you can see, gaining root access is not an option for you, especially if you are an advanced user who wants to use its Galaxy Note 3 on full power.
Now, similar, installing TWRP Recovery on your Galaxy Note 3 N900W8 is being required if you want to apply unofficial updates, kernels and so on. TWRP recovery also comes with features and options that can be used for backing up the data and the current ROM, for wiping the system, for clearing the cache, for installing .zip files from the SD card, and many others. TWRP recovery represents the touch version of CWM recovery, which is one of the most used custom recovery used by Android users from around the globe. Do note that the stock recovery image that is coming pre-installed on the SGN 3 can’t be used if you want to tweak your smartphone.
Unfortunately the root operation isn’t official. What that this means? Well, basically, when gaining root access the binary flash counter is being increased, this implying in voiding the warranty. This aspect can’t be avoided since the root access will remove the default and the factory restrictions from your Note’s internal system. Usually, the warranty can be restored if the flash counter is reset. Also, usually the flash counter can be reset by downgrading / updating the device to stock / official Android OS. Unfortunately due to dedicated restrictions, the Galaxy Note 3 binary flash counter can’t be reset at least not until now. Don’t worry though as the third party devs will soon find a way to use for restoring the warranty on rooted SGN 3.
Since the operations you are about to complete are unofficial ones, before going any further I recommend you to backup the data that is stored on your Canadian Galaxy Note 3. Actually only the data which is saved on the internal storage memory as it might get corrupted or even wiped out during the root process or while you are trying to install TWRP recovery. So, use backup and restore apps from Google Play and save everything that is important to you.
On the other hand, for the present step by step guide you will have to prepare the following things:
- A computer on which you have to deactivate the antivirus, antimalware and Firewall protection.
- Also, if there are any other security tools installed, deactivate or uninstall the same as the programs might interfere with our work.
- Your Canadian SGN 3 model number N900W8 and its official USB cable because you will have to connect your device with your computer.
- Because of that, on your phablet you will have to enable or check the USB Debugging option; you can do so by heading to path “settings -> applications -> development”.
- Furthermore, since you will root and install TWRP recovery on the same guide, the installation procedure will take a few minutes to complete. Therefore, you handset must stay “alive” during the process or else you will risk in bricking your beloved gadget; so for avoiding the unpleasant situations, charge the battery of your Note before starting the proper guide from below.
Do remember though (it’s extremely important) that the present root solution is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 model number N900W8. That’s the Canadian and Latin American model of the SGN 3 which means that you can safely apply the guidelines from below if you have bought your phablet from Rogers, Bell, Telus, Virgin, Wind Mobile, Koodo, Mobilicity, Sasktel, Claro, Telcel, Sam, Videotron, Movistar and from other Latin American retails.
How to Root Canadian Galaxy Note 3 N900W8
- On your computer download the root package from here and place the same on your computer.
- Unzip the package on desktop.
- On the same computer the GN 3 drivers must be installed; if not download Samsung KIES and install the same for flashing the required drivers.
- Finally, download Odin.
- Unzip, install and run Odin on your computer.
- Good, up next you need to enter your handset in download mode.
- For being able to do so, first turn it off. Then, wait a few seconds and press on power, volume down and home buttons at the same time.
- Now, connect your phablet with the computer via USB cable.
- Odin will “communicate” with your handset; if everything is working well, on Odin you will see the “added” message added and the ID:COM section turned yellow or blue.
- If not, you will have to unplug the USB cable and reflash the Note 3 drivers; then, repeat the step from above.
- Perfect; from Odin now select the option dubbed as “PDA”.
- Pick the root file from desktop.
- Don’t change the default settings from Odin; the re-partition and f.reset time options must remain unchecked.
- Click on “start”.
- The root operation will be over when the “pass” message will be displayed and when the ID:COM section will turn green.
- Disconnect your phone from the computer and reboot your Note 3 as root access has been granted.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Canadian Galaxy Note 3 N900W8
- From here download the recovery image file.
- Save it on your computer and unzip the same.
- Odin must be installed on the PC as well as the GN 3 drivers (if not use the steps from the root method).
- Similar with the root procedure from above, run Odin on your computer, reboot your handset into download mode and connect the device with the PC by using the official USB cable.
- Select the same “PDA” option from Odin only this time pick the recovery image file from desktop instead of root package.
- Click on “start”.
- Wait while the installation procedure is running.
- Finally, in the end, unplug the USB cord and reboot your phablet.
In case your smartphone gets stuck in a boot loop:
- Reboot in recovery mode.
- Select “wipe data factory reset”.
- Also choose “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to main menu of recovery by selecting “go back”.
- Select “reboot system now”.
- Do note that if the first boot is taking longer than you were used to, there is nothing wrong with your handset.
In case Odin gets stuck while you are trying to root or install TWRP recovery:
- Close the program.
- Remove the USB cable.
- Force restart your GN 3.
- Reinstall the required drivers on the PC.
- Launch Odin on the computer.
- Reboot the phone in download mode.
- Connect the phablet with the computer.
- Resume the root or installation procedure.
Perfect; you have successfully completed the step by step guide. Congratulations, now your Canadian Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N900W8 is rooted and installed with TWRP recovery. Therefore, starting from now you can update with a custom ROM, install a custom kernel or make any other custom change you want. Finally, don’t forget to share your experience with us or with other users who might want to use our dedicated tutorial.