Using CM11, AOKP or ParanoidAndroid on your Galaxy S4 Zoom LTE is great, but for being able to update your phone with a custom ROM firmware, first you have to apply other operations. These operations are the following ones: gaining root access and installing a custom recovery image. Well, if you want to achieve all that, don’t hesitate and read the guidelines from below. This tutorial will teach you how to unlock your Galaxy S4 Zoom LTE and how to install TWRP Recovery, thus everything will be prepared for custom ROMs treatment.
With root access you will also gain access on the internal system of your S4 Zoom. This access will offer various possibilities as you will be able to remove in built programs, add new features, customize the Android OS and optimize the performances. Basically, with root you will remove the factory and default restrictions that comes pre installed on any Android based smartphone or tablet. This unlock process isn’t official though, so this tutorial has nothing to do with Samsung or with Google.
On the other hand, a custom recovery image is used for establishing a link between the Android system and the phone’s user. Thus, by using TWRP recovery you will be able to apply the changes that were mentioned above. But why TWRP Recovery? Well, similar as root aspects, when you first buy your Galaxy S4 Zoom, you get stock features and programs. In that matter, your device will be pre installed with a stock recovery image. This stock program is offering only limited access to your phone, so for making things better you have to use a custom recovery image. TWRP Recovery is an improved version of CWM recovery as it comes with more features and with a better user interface.
After completing these two operations you will be able to flash a custom ROM firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom. But that’s not all; you will also be able to overclock your Android device, install a custom kernel, remove bloatware, upgrade the battery life, bump the speeds, make Nandroid backups and lot more. Therefore, gaining root access and installing TWRP recovery is a must, especially if you are an advanced user or if you want to use your S4 Zoom on full power without dealing with factory restrictions.
As mentioned before, these operations aren’t official. So, by completing this step by step guide you will lose your phone’s warranty. Unfortunately this aspect can’t be avoided – do note that rooting is a complex and risky procedure (if you follow the steps from below you will be fine, but try not to mess things up as you can end up in soft bricking your SGS4 Zoom). So, you will not be able to reclaim your warranty after completing this tutorial. This implies in paying for the technical assistance that is performed by your service – if you will have to take your phone back to service. Or, on the other hand, if you will have problems with your device, you can try to manually troubleshoot all the issues by using dedicated tutorials.
Before heading to the proper steps from below, first you might want to save your data. In some cases, while rooting and installing TWRP recovery, a wipe might be applied. In that case you will end up in losing everything that’s saved on the internal storage of your Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom LTE. Therefore, avoid unpleasant situations by saving everything that you might use afterwards, including your contacts, messages, call logs, EFS, internet settings, market apps and personal data, info and accounts – in that matter, you can anytime use a cloud service or backup and restore apps from Google Play.
A computer must be used on this root operation. For making things right, from your computer temporarily deactivate the antivirus and any other security protection – else the security tools might interfere with our work. On your phone you should enable USB debugging option (from menu – settings – developer options) and you should also check the battery power: if there is less than 50% power left, you should plug in the charger before doing anything else. Finally, remember that this is a dedicated tutorial, compatible only with the LTE model of the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom, so try not to mess things up.
Root and Install TWRP Recovery on Galaxy S4 Zoom LTE
How to Gain Root Access
- Download the root package on your computer – get it from here.
- Save the file on desktop and run the executable file.
- Follow the on screen prompts and install the tool.
- In the end, launch the root exploit.
- Connect your S4 Zoom with your computer via USB cable.
- Go to the root tool and from there click on the “Root” option.
- That’s it, your phone will be automatically unlocked.
How to Install TWRP Recovery
- On your computer download Odin, Samsung KIES and the recovery file (get it from here).
- Save the files on desktop and first of all, unzip Odin and the recovery package.
- Then, follow the on screen prompts and install Odin on your computer.
- Also install Samsung KIES and flash the Galaxy S4 Zoom drivers on your PC.
- In the end run Odin on your computer.
- Turn off your phone and enter it in download mode: press power, volume down and home button at the same time, for a few seconds.
- Then, connect your device with your computer via USB cable.
- Odin will try to recognize the S4 Zoom: the “added” message will be displayed and the ID:COM section will turn yellow or blue – if not, unplug the USB cord, reflash the drivers and repeat the process from the beginning.
- From Odin select the “PA” option and pick the recovery file from desktop.
- Click on “start” (don’t change anything else on Odin) and wait while the flashing process is being completed.
- When the “pass” message will be displayed and when the ID:COM section will turn green, you will be able to unplug the USB cable and to reboot your phone.
- If after the last step your S4 Zoom will get stuck in a boot loop try the following troubleshoot solution: enter recovery mode on your Android device; from there select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; in the end pick “reboot system now” and you are done.
- Also, if Odin gets stuck try to follow: remove the USB cord; force restart your handset; reinstall the USB drivers on your computer; repeat the installation procedure from the beginning.
Congratulations; you have rooted and installed TWRP recovery on your LTE Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom. So, we are done for the moment. But, remember that starting from now you can begin the custom ROM firmware treatment, so stay close as further tutorials will be developed. Also, use the comments field from below for sharing your experience with us and with other users who might want to test this step by step guide.