UPDATE: The root is available for all the Galaxy S5 models.
Samsung Galaxy S5 hasn’t been shipped to users and Chainfire has already managed to achieve root for the International model, the G900F.
Read this tutorial and you will learn how to root Galaxy S5 G900F International model using ODIN app and Chainfire’s CF-Auto-Root tool. Root is great for users who want to start customizing their phones.
Also, you can choose to root your phone even if you don’t want to flash custom ROMs, as the Root will then help you install applications such as Titanium Backup, Greenify or other similar ones that require root in order to work.
CF Auto-Root will root your Galaxy S5 by installing the SuperSU binary and its APK along with the Stock Recovery. Before starting the root process you should take a look at the preparation guide below:
- use this guide only with the Samsung Galaxy S5 model number G900F — it seems like this will be the official version for the International S5 device.
- do not root any other device with the files that you will find in this article, as you might risk bricking it.
- download and install Samsung USB Drivers from here.
- without these drivers you won’t be able to root the Galaxy S5.
- disable all antivirus and Samsung KIES software from running on your computer.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- if the Developer Options menu doesn’t show up in Settings, then you should open About Device and then tap 7 times the Build Number section.
- check your phone’s battery charge level, it should be over 50%, so that it won’t switch off in the middle of installation process.
- this tutorial should be applied by advanced users, do not blame us in case you will lose any data or brick the device.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and you should be able to complete the guide in time.
- rooting your device will revoke the warranty of your phone.
- KNOX flags security will also be tripped.
- for any other questions you should use the comments field below.
Now that you know all of the above you should continue to the next part of this post and learn how to root your device.
How to root Samsung Galaxy S5 with CF-Auto-Root:
- Download the CF-Auto-Root from here.
- Extract the contents of the zip file and save the folder on your PC.
- Download the Odin 3.09 from here.
- Power off the Galaxy S5 completely.
- Boot it in Android Download Mode.
- if you can’t boot Download Mode on your S5 then follow this post.
- Launch ODIN3 v3.09 exe on your PC.
- Use the USB cable and connect your Galaxy S5 with your computer.
- if ODIN doesn’t recognize the phone, then you should re-install the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Go back to Odin menu on your PC.
- Click the AP button in Odin and then browse your computer for the file extracted in step 2.
- the file you need to load has the file extension set as .tar.md5
- don’t change any other default Odin settings.
- When you ready click on START button to begin the rooting process of your Galaxy S5.
- When Root is complete your device will reboot.
- Unplug the phone from PC when the Samsung Galaxy S5 boot logo appears.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete this guide.
If ODIN fails to apply root, then you will need to repeat the entire tutorial once again. If you do repeat the guide make sure not to skip any steps that I’ve listed above.
If ODIN says that the process was passed, but the Galaxy S5 isn’t able to boot in normal mode, then you should try to Factory Reset the device.
Here’s how to do it:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option.
- reboot the device in normal mode.
If you have any other questions, then you should ask for extra help in comments.