Even though the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx is a powerful smartphone with high end specs, you can still improve its performances. But, in order to do so you must first learn how to root it. This will be the purpose of this step by step guide, where you have the whole procedure detailed and explained so can everybody understand it.
You must know how to root the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx if you are looking forward in unchain its internal system. After this you will be able to make further operations like updating the operating system, installing custom ROMs (CyanogenMod, or different other firmware) or customize and personalize its Android based OS.
The Droid Razr Maxx is the improved version of the well-known Droid Razr. There were added some features, the specs were extended and the battery life was increased. Anyway, you should know that the root procedure is different from one device to another. This means that if you know how to root the Razr then don’t apply the same method to the Razr Maxx because you can wreck it.
Furthermore, this operation is not coming from Motorola. Therefore, the warranty will be void. If somehow, something is going wrong (this can happen extremely rare and only if you don’t follow the steps from this tutorial) you will be on your own, so think twice before starting to root the Maxx.
Then, if the rooting process doesn’t complete correctly it could damage the software. This means that it will require a factory recover, causing all data on the smartphone to be lost. That’s why I recommend you to backup the data and apps from your device. The best apps to use for backing up your phone are: the SMS Backup + by Jan Berkel (SMS / MMS messages), the android cloud (contacts and calendar), the Astro File Manager for the Market apps and the SD card, or the PC for any other data stored on your device.
Before we begin with the proper tutorial, you must first prepare your phone:
- The power left on your phone should be more than 60%. If not you will not be able to complete the operation.
- You will have to use a Windows running computer, so the USB cord must be near you.
- Disable the firewall, or any other security programs from the Droid Razr Maxx and from the PC. In most of times, these tools are interrupting the root operation.
- Download and install the Motorola USB drivers from here.
- Enable the USB debugging in your phone. In order to do this, just go to: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
Now, after we settle these aspects out, you can start rooting the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx. Do all as showed in the steps, pay attention and you should be done in just a couple of minutes.
- First, download the Razr Maxx Rooting Package from here to the Windows running computer. Check if all these files are on the PC: adb, AdbWinApi.dll, AdbWinUsbApi.dll, busybox, motofail, run, su and Superuser.apk.
- Then, connect the handset with the computer by using the USB cord.
- Then open (from the PC by double clicking it) the file executable named “run”. A series of processes will be done in both the PC and the phone.
- Once these processes finishes the smartphone will be rebooted. In case if something doesn’t work you have to start all over again from step 1.
- That’s all.
There you have it; now the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx is rooted. If, during the tutorial, you experienced any kinds of issues, feel free and share them (in the comments are from below) wits us, so we can help you through.