This tutorial guide teaches you how to root Android 4.0 ICS for your Motorola Razr HD phone using a small zip file. Also, the tutorial contains a tutorial on how to preserve root even after upgrading to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean firmware. Read the entire post and make sure that you won’t skip any steps that I have listed below.
The root has been released by an XDA member and developer. If you root your device you will be able to install new custom ROMs, flash custom updates and other customization files. It is a great tool as you simply need to root the Android 4.0 ICS firmware, then you will an app that is capable of preserving the root even after updating to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Before starting the root process of your device, you should read the preparation guidelines below:
- Use this post only for the Motorola Razr HD model number XT925. Do not use it for the Droid-branded devices as it won’t and you might brick them.
- Your phone should be on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. It won’t work for devices running newer Android OS versions.
- Make sure that your computer has all the Motorola USB drivers installed on it. If yours doesn’t then you can use download them from HERE.
- Enable the USB debugging option from the Android Developer Options menu. It can be found in the Settings app.
- Disable all security and antivirus applications that are running on your computer. This will prevent them from blocking the root process.
- The power charge levels of your Razr HD XT925 should be over 50%, so that the phone doesn’t power off while you’re applying the rooting steps.
- It would be best for you to create backups of all the data files that are currently installed on your smartphone.
- We cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone in the process. Make sure to read the entire post and that you don’t skip any steps that I have listed in this article.
- If you cannot complete the root, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you’ve managed to correctly prepare your device for the root, then you can get to the next part of this post.
How to root and preserve root for the Motorola Razr HD XT925 on Android 4.0 ICS:
- Download the rooting zip pack from HERE, HERE or HERE.
- Extract the contents of the Motorola Razr HD root zip file.
- Connect your device to your computer using its USB Data cable. The Windows PC will now detect the phone.
- Open the folder created at step 2. Run the ‘.bat’ file with Administrator rights by right-clicking it and selecting ‘Run as Administrator’ option from the context menu.
- Follow the instructions listed by the app.
- The Motorola Razr HD will reboot when the root is applied.
- You can unplug the device from PC now.
- That’s it, you’ve successfully rooted your smartphone.
Now that you’ve rooted the device, you should also learn how to preserve the root before upgrading it to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OTA firmware.
Here’s how to do that:
- Download and Install VooDoo RootKeeper application on your Motorola Razr HD XT925. (Google Play Store link for the app)
- Launch the application on your device.
- When the app launched you should tap on ‘Protect Root’ option.
- Next, select ‘Temp Unroot’.
- Now you can install the Android 4.1 JB OTA update.
- When the update is complete you should launch again the VooDoo RootKeeper application.
- Next, select ‘Restore Root’.
- That’s it, you’ve successfully re-rooted the phone, only that this time your phone is on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
If you cannot complete the root, then you should ask for extra help in comments. Make sure to leave a detailed comment on the steps you tool and where you got stuck exactly.