How to Root Motorola RAZR I on Windows, Linux or Mac
After we have seen how to unlock the Motorola RAZR I bootloader, now you should learn another procedure which will fully unchain your phone from the factory restrictions. Of course, I’m referring to the root operation that is explained and detailed in the present step by step guide. Therefore, if you want to learn how to gain root access for the RAZR I smartphone, then you should complete this tutorial; the same can be applied by using a Windows, Linux, or MAC computer, so you have nothing to worry about.
As we all know, the Motorola RAZR I is a high end device, with an impressive Intel processor inside, but you can still spice things up by improving the performances and the OS. The perfect way for doing the same, is by updating to a custom ROM firmware. Such update is coming with features that cannot be found in the default variant of the Android platform, meaning that your handset will get apps, features and capabilities that can easily improve, customize and optimize its internal system. Anyway, until you can perform such a task, you should first unlock your RAZR I. For that, you must begin with unlocking the bootloader and then you must apply the present tutorial for learning how to root the system of your phone.
These are being considered risky operations, so you must know that if you are not following a suitable guide, you can end up in bricking your device. Furthermore, gaining root access for your RAZR I has nothing to do with Motorola, the method being actually developed and tested for the first time by those of xda-developers, so we have them to thanks for this opportunity. That’s why once you start to apply the below steps, the warranty will get void. Unfortunately, the only way in which you can restore the warranty is by updating to an official firmware provided by Motorola, or just downgrade to the stock ROM.
But, why to root, you might wonder; well, that’s easy. A phone with a rooted OS can be installed with a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery, that can be used for flashing custom ROMs. Furthermore, once the system is rooted, you will be able to install complex apps on your RAZR I and also have access to its operating system. In a few words, the device will become your new playground. As you can see you have all the reasons for completing this tutorial. But, before you do that, you should take care of the pre requisites, which are being detailed during the following lines.
You must start preparing your phone, by backing up the data. This operation is more for you, as without completing a backup you can lose all your recent saves and personal info. For making a full backup / restore you can use our suitable guides by searching through our how to section. You can learn how to save the contacts, the internet settings, the market apps, the call logs and more; don’t hesitate and use the same. Then, take a look over the list from below. The rest of the pre requisites are being mentioned there, so don’t skip this section.
- On the computer you will use (remember that this guide can be applied by using a Windows, Linux or MAC running PC) and on your handset you should deactivate the security tools (antivirus and Firewall protection included) because these programs can interfere with our work.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your RAZR I by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Charge the battery or at least ensure that there is at least 60% power left; else the phone might get turned off in the middle of the process.
- Don’t apply the steps for a similar device with the Motorola RAZR I as this root operation works only for the mentioned smartphone.
How to Root Motorola RAZR I (Windows / Linux / MAC Tutorial Guide)
- On your computer you must download the required root tool.
- The download links for Windows is here, for MAC here and for Linux use the one from here.
- After the download ends, extract the file.
- Run the app and install the same.
- Next, you have to run the “Root.bat” executable.
- Then, you can safely connect your device with the computer by using its USB cord.
- If you can’t connect the handset, try to re-install the RAZR I drivers and then re-do the above steps.
- When the phone is connected with the computer, just press “Enter” on your PC.
- The root process will now begin.
- In the end, an “ok” message will be displayed on your computer.
- You can now remove the USB cable.
- Reboot the phone and get the “Root Checker” app from Google Play if you want to see if the phone is rooted or not.
And, with that you are finally done. You now know how to easily root the Motorola RAZR I smartphone, meaning that you can look forward in installing custom ROMs for updating your phone with powerful platforms. We will bring suitable tutorials soon, so stay close. Until then, share your thoughts with us and do tell how things worked with the steps from above.