The Nook Color has been released by Barnes&Noble and if you’re currently running the latest 1.4.1 or 1.4.2 firmware then you can use the instructions in this post to learn how to root it. The version of your Nook Color can be found by opening Settings> About > Firmware Version.
Rooting the Nook Color will void your warranty but you will still be able to receive OTA updates which will then revoke root access. Do not attempt to root any other device with this guide because it won’t work. After the root is done will have support for installing applications that are root-only based. Before starting the rooting process you will need to read the preparation info guide and learn how to properly configure your device and your computer.
Please note that we cannot be held responsible for any of the problems that your tablet might develop after rooting it. Also, it is recommended that this guide should be applied only by those who know what they’re doing. Make sure to ask us in comments whenever you cannot apply one of the steps or you can’t understand what type of action needs to be taken. Here’s what you need to know before moving to the tutorial guide:
- charge the tablet’s battery until it reaches over 70% power levels and so it won’t discharge while we’re rooting its firmware.
- disable or remove all the antivirus/ antimalware applications on your PC so that it won’t interfere with the root applications.
- enable the USB Debugging mode on your Nook Color.
- your device needs to be on a bootable clockworkmod recovery.
- read all the instructions listed in the tutorial guide and apply all the steps listed there.
- do a complete wipe before applying the root
- your Nook Color has to be registered
- all the Barnes&Nobles contents has to be downloaded before starting to root the device, because otherwise you will lose the access to B&N content.
- you need an active Google Account to be able to use gmail, market and others.
Here’s how to root your Nook Color that runs on 1.4.1 / 1.4.2 firmware:
- Download the Manual Rooter 5.02.19 zip file from here. Save it on your PC.
- Now you need to connect the Nook Color android device to your PC and place the file downloaded at step 1 into your device’s SDcard. Do not extract its contents.
- Disconnect the NC from your PC and then power OFF the device.
- Enter recovery mode and wait for the recovery menu to appear.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then confirm action. Now select ‘manual rooter’ zip file and confirm that you wish to install it.
- Wait for the rooting process to be complete. When that happens the device should reboot.
- Unlock your Nook Color with Zeam Launcher.
- Go to Market and sign it.
- Exit the market and wait until Gapps will sync your account and update the market.
That’s it, you’ve successfully rooted your Nook Color 1.4.1/ 1.4.2 firmware and now you’re free to use it freely. For any extra questions regarding Nook Color and the how-to root guide use the comments field.