Rooting your OnePlus One represents an easy to perform operation, but only if you use the right step by step guide. There are various root methods available, but unfortunately some procedures are complex and suitable only for advanced Android users. In case you are looking for a safe and intuitive tutorial, then you are in the right place. Thanks to those of xda-developers we can now use a dedicated toolkit that will automatically root the OnePlus One. Also, during the root process you will be able to unlock the bootloader of your phone and to flash TWRP recovery, all in just a few minutes or even less.
Of course, before applying anything, read the guidelines from below and make sure that this is the step by step guide you need and want to complete. Also, if you have decided to try the steps from below, stick to my explanations and don’t try things by yourselves. As you might know, gaining root access is not an official operation and if you mess things up, you can damage or soft brick your OnePlus One – if bad things happens, or if you are currently having problems with your smartphone, don’t hesitate and use our troubleshoot tutorial from here: “Unbrick OnePlus One with ease”.
Now, even though gaining root access isn’t official, the same process is quite important especially for those who want to use their OnePlus One on full potential. Basically, by completing this operation you will remove the factory and default restrictions from your device – each Android handset is coming pre installed with various restrictions which limits our access to the internal system of our smartphones or tablets. Therefore, after ensuring root, you will be able to start tweaking your OnePlus One. Thus, you can start considering in applying operations such as: remove bloatware, install complex and custom apps, update with custom ROMs, flash custom kernels, overclock the CPU, optimize the performances, personalize the UI, upgrade the battery life or bump the speeds.
As mentioned, along with the root access you will also be able to unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus One and install TWRP recovery on your phone. The bootloader represents a small program that is launched each time you reboot your device. The bootloader loads some in built programs and the Android OS from the ROM memory into the RAM one. By unlocking the bootloader you can perform changes within the Android system and that’s great. Moreover, TWRP recovery represents a custom recovery image, which will ensure easier access to the internal system of your phone.
TWRP recovery is an improved and touch based version of CWM recovery, so you should install the same without thinking in negative aspects, as there aren’t any. Of course, all these procedures aren’t official so by completing this tutorial you will lose the warranty of your OnePlus One.
At the same time, since you will perform vital changes within the internal system of your Android based device, before applying the root process you should consider in making a backup. In this way you can be sure that you won’t lose your personal data, info and accounts while trying to unlock your OnePlus One. So, go to Google Play and download proper backup and restore tools, or use a cloud service and save everything you might need afterwards – including contacts list, call logs, market apps, internet settings, images, videos, audio files and so on. Also, if possible make a Nandroid backup for saving your current ROM.
On the other hand, make sure that you can use a Windows based computer, your smartphone and its USB cable – you will have to establish a connection between your devices at some point. Now, on your OnePlus One enable USB debugging option from path “menu – settings – developer options”. Then, check the battery status and if the power level shows less than 50%, plug in the charger – you can brick your handset if it gets turned off in the middle of the root operation. On the computer you are using the best will be to deactivate the security protection because tools like antivirus or antimalware might interfere with our work.
Use this guide for unlocking the bootloader, installing TWRP recovery and gaining root access for OnePlus One. The steps from below are compatible only with the mentioned device, so try not to mess things up – if you own a different smartphone or tablet, just search for a suitable root solution in order to avoid unpleasant situations.
How to Root OnePlus One (Unlock Bootloader and Flash TWRP Recovery included)
- First of all, on your computer download and install the latest version of Java.
- So, go to this page, download the package and install the same by following the on screen prompts –also close and reopen the web browser client you are using in order to properly complete the installation process.
- On your computer install Android SDK.
- Then, from this page download the root toolkit for your OnePlus One.
- Save it on your computer; preferable on desktop.
- Run the executable file and install the tool on your computer.
- Run the same.
- Connect your OnePlus One with your computer by plugging in the USB cord.
- From the toolkit select “Enter Fastboot / Recovery Mode”.
- Choose “Enter Fastboot”.
- Select the “Unlock Bootloader” option.
- In the end your phone will automatically reboot.
Install TWRP Recovery
- From the toolkit tap on the “Flash” option.
- Choose the “TWRP” key.
- Wait while the installation process is completed and in the end head towards the following section of our tutorial.
Root your OnePlus One
- From the toolkit select “Boot” and choose “TWRP Recovery”.
- The recovery mode will be displayed; from there pick “reboot system”.
- Installing SuperSU will be then prompted; do the same.
- When it boots up, open the app drawer or pull down the notification bar and tap SuperSU Installer.
- Select “Play” and then “Update”.
- Choose “yes” and install binries.
- In the end go to Google Play and download the Root Checker app in order to check if your OnePlus One is unlocked or not.
Good job; you have successfully completed the root process, so your OnePlus One is now unlocked. You can proceed with other custom operations, but for now share your thoughts related to the guidelines from above with us and with our readers – by using the comments field.