Yesterday, a leaked version of Android 4.0.4 ICS with the firmware version being XXLQ5 was made available to be used top update Galaxy S2 I9100 smartphones. Now, as you would’ve expected, a root exploit has been released and you can use this post to learn how to apply it usin CF-Root kernel release.
The CF-ROOT is a small application that helps Android users gain root access for their phones. Also, by rooting your device you will be able to install new custom ROMs that are bringing a new and better Android experience for your I9100 device. By applying this root you will also install the CWM Recovery image and only with this one you will be able to flash custom ROM installations. Please note that before you can move to the tutorial guide, you should read the preparation guide and learn how to correctly prepare your computer and your Galaxy S2 device so that you’ll manage to root it at your first try. Here’s what you need to know:
- apply this CF-Root only on Galaxy S2 I9100 devices that are running the XXLQ5 Android 4.0.4 ICS firmware. Do not attempt to root any other Android device as that might brick it and you will then need a whole other thread to learn how to unbrick and re-flash stock firmware. Stick to this post and apply only the actions listed in it.
- Enable Android USB debugging mode.
- Download and install the Samsung USB drivers by clicking the following links: Windows 32bit (x86) OS | Windows 64bit (x64) OS.
- optionally you can choose to backup some of your important files that are stored on the phone’s memory and not on the internal or external sdcard, as these two will be left unchanged by CF-Root.
- charge the phone’s battery until it says that it is over 70% so that it won’t power OFF during the root process.
- please note that you’re applying these changes at your own risk and you should continue the ROOT of your Galaxy S2 I9100 only if you’re an advanced Android user who knows his way around Odin and CF-Root applications.
- Disable the antivirus and antimalware programs that might be running on your computer. This will prevent them from closing the rooting tools.
That’s all the info you had to know and now you’re free to move to the tutorial guide. Make sure that you first read the entire ‘how-to’ guide and only afterwards you should start with step 1 and begin the rooting process.
In case you cannot complete the root then you let us know by posting in comments and I will help you figure out how to root the I9100 eventually. Remember that neither we nor the developers will be held responsible in case you damage your device, as the only person that can be blamed is yourself. Now that you know all this, you should begin the root process.
How to root Samsung Galaxy S2 XXLQ5 Firmware using CF-ROOT:
- Download the CF-Root zip file from here.
- Extract the zip contents into a single folder and you should obtain a ‘.tar’ file. Leave this one as it is this and after that you should move to the next step.
- Download Odin 1.85 from here. Unzip the contents in a single folder on your computer’s desktop.
- Power off your smartphone as you’ll need to boot into Download Mode.
- Enter Galaxy S2 Download Mode by pressing ‘volume down’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons’. Hold these pressed until the download mode screen appears.
- Press Volume Up to continue to Download Mode. Now, connect your device to your PC via USB data cable.
- Launch ODIN executable from the folder created at step 3.
- Click in ODIN the PDA button and find and select the CF-Root.tar file. Leave all other ODIN settings unchanged.
- Click the START button and wait until Odin manages to flash all the root files. Before pressing START you should make sure that ODIN displays the ‘added’ message which means that all drivers are correctly installed. If otherwise you should return to the preparation guide and download the correct Samsung USB drivers.
- After the root has been applied, ODIN will restart your device and when you see the Samsung boot logo you are free to disconnect the smartphone from your computer. Also, Odin should display the ‘Pass’ message on its main window.
- Now that your device has booted into normal home screen you should check to see if CWM Recovery has been installed, also this means that the root was successful. To verify that ClockworkMod Recovery has been installed use the info below:
- power off your device.
- press ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ and hold them like that until the CWM Recovery screen is displayed.
- to restart your device, select ‘reboot system now’ from the clockworkmod recovery main menu.
- that’s it, your Galaxy S2 I9100 has been successfully rooted and you’re free to use it and flash new custom ROMs.
In case you didn’t manage to root your smartphone, you should use the comments section and ask for our help. Explain we’re you got stuck and what steps did you take until then. Also, note that in case ODIN freezes during the root process, you should power off the device, remove its battery, disconnect it from your PC, close ODIN, re-insert the battery and after that you should restart the entire tutorial from step 4.
I hope that this tutorial worked for you and now I recommend you to click the Galaxy S2 I9100 link, the one listed under this article’s picture, and search for custom ROMs that you might want to install.